Large Scale Central

Boston and Maine fans?

Hello folks,

If you’re a B&M fan you may like my latest re-lettering jobs.

1st up is an AML 0-6-0 live steam in the simple B&M square-herald.

Next up is a shnazzy new B&M RDC-1 in the phase 3 scheme, or first McGinnis scheme following the minuteman version.

…I also did 3 more in phase 4 scheme. That gives me a 4-car train in B&M and 4-car train in MBTA.

Pictures?

Hi David,

I changed some sharing settings…can you see them now? Thanks for the heads up.

Nice equipment… Love seeing old home decorated units… Grew up watching B&M trains… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks Andy,

Glad to bring back some good memories!

This winter I also hope to paint up a “bluebird” B&M GP-7 (with RailBoss) to run push/pull the B&M RDCs.

You may remember, after the Blizzard of '78, many of the B&Ms RDCs were badly damaged mechanically. In response, the B&M’s mechanics figured out a way to remotely control a GP7 from an RDC cab (“Kiersten Connection”?). This way the RDCs could operate with just one engine running in each car (mainly to provide lights and A/C) and the GP7 could push-pull the train. Later on some of the RDCs were sent out to be rebuilt as push-pull commuter cars, and (I assume) received HEP thereafter.

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

Hi David,

I changed some sharing settings…can you see them now? Thanks for the heads up.

Yup. Ats better. Nice job.

Love it, Jeff.

Jeff, I forgot, how do you power your RDC’s?

Those are the RDC-1, right? Did you do anything to the interior?

An impressive fleet to say the least.

Greg

Thanks Steve.

Thanks Greg,

The RDCs are just being used as free-rolling commuter coaches/cabs. I have one RDC3 and the rest are RDC1s. All have dark tinted glass (like the upgraded B&M / MBTA RDCs of the 1980s) so interiors are not easily seen anyways. The cars have no motors or interior lights, but the headlamps and marker lights do work (if/where desired). Power for these lights comes from the locomotive’s battery and Railboss4 simply flips the polarity to specify headlamps or markers on the end car

The cars ride on modified Aristo AAR diesel sideframes, using mostly Piko 35mm BB wheels in the journals. Since there are no motor blocks, the cars were easily lowered by simply mounting the sideframes higher up on the bolster frame. So now the cars are lowered and have working suspension…also super-tight mounted Kadee couplings were added for proper car spacing and reliability.