Large Scale Central

Hurricane Irma Check in-R you OK

I have some friends and neighbors in Irma’s path.

I’d like to know if fellow LSC members are doing OK.

I am following Irma as it occurs on the Gulf side.

Some of my friends are not in the evacuation areas, but my neighbors are.

I hope you can report that all is fine.

If not, how has your layout survived(or not)?

Fellow live steamers, too.

Pics, if available, please.

Don, I too am wondering about folks down in the path of the storm. Namely our own Bill Ness, and Joe Fotchkey, and their families.

I was thinking the same for the last couple days … how to post, but ya said it !!

Hoping for the best !

CBCNational (in the evening that i see), is doing hrly updates and CBC team feeds from down there (Naples(?), Tampa & Fort Lauderdale). Also ‘Weather Network’ also has at least one team down there.

nite.

I suppose I will be the first to respond. I am in the panhandle, west of most of the carnage. Our worst will be today during the morning, max 40mph winds and less than 2" of rain expected. No damage to the local area, and so far no power outages.

Non Railroad related, a friend locate downstate in Bartow texted me this morning that his damage was limited to the loss of a rolling fence gate, a pelxiglass window in a garage door and the general tree debris. Bartow is near Lakeland and the eye passed either over or very close by. I think he is luckier than most, as the television reporting shows much more damage.

Well, at least your news in pretty good news Bob compared to some of the reports seen this side of the Atlantic.

I just received a call from my sister. She lives in LaBelle between Fort Myers and lake Okeechobee. She still has no cell service but borrowed someone’s phone to make the call. Her house is built to all the codes to ensure survival in hurricane conditions. She said she lost shingles and gutters but that was about it. Glad it’s over…

Alan, I wish one could get the new media to report the news with out all the embellishment. That said, yes there will be a tremendous amount of damage downstate. I only hope our government will step up and keep the insurance companies from side stepping payment where payment is due.

We survived! Only Cat1 by the time it got here. Lost power last night. Using emergency generator for now. I have no idea when the grid will come back on. Lost the cable TV/internet too. I’m using a personal hot spot from my iPhone wirelessly to my desktop computer. I put my layout in the shed a couple of days ago. All that is out there is the track.

Best wishes to all those affected by the storm!

OK here in Savannah in fact I was running today. Can’t say the same for a buddy of mine a few miles south. Lost about 15’ of 3 track elevated section. I’ll be over there this weekend helping him rebuild. He just had a very nice water feature installed, water fall pond lights. he posted the damage on Facebook and the people who installed it came over and cleaned it up and repaired any damage at no charge.

We are fine. Just a steady moderate rain all day and night. But I have an uncle and cousin who live in Orlando. Not sure how they faired. Will know once they get back home. Thank the Lord it was a milder storm than they predicted.

Louis Sommers said:

OK here in Savannah in fact I was running today. Can’t say the same for a buddy of mine a few miles south. Lost about 15’ of 3 track elevated section. I’ll be over there this weekend helping him rebuild. He just had a very nice water feature installed, water fall pond lights. he posted the damage on Facebook and the people who installed it came over and cleaned it up and repaired any damage at no charge.

Good to hear you are safe Louis and glad to hear your friend is safe as well. From the sound of it, damage was minimal. The water feature folks need a ‘Thank You’ card, there are not many stand up companies like that left.

Yes Bob You are right. These are good people to deal with. They come in to the store and are one of our favorite customers.

The HDRR is back up and running as of today. I’m calling it the Russian Line because last week I was “Putin” it away for the hurricane and today I was “Putin” it all out again!

I hope your not going to need to be ‘putin’ it away again for Maria :o

Vic,

I don’t think so. It looks like Maria’s track is going out to mid Atlantic. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Keep a weather eye out. I just heard CAT 5 heading toward US mainland after directly hitting PR.