Large Scale Central

Backdrop on Fence

For the upcoming planned railroad, a good long run will be on benchwork along the back fence. While I plan buildings and storefronts along this, there will be a great deal of fence just there, unadorned.

I’m thinking some sort of backdrop (painted sky? Printed or bas relief cliffs or mountains? Neutral color?) would make sense.

Since it’s outdoor, some sort of printed thing seems unworkable. Any guidance?

for such a long stretch do something simple. like this background.

here are two more ideas:

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/19878/backgrounds

use outdoors latex with toner and you are good for years.

Korm it took you forever to get that much done ( (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)) … look into pics blown up !

Hey I saw a pic !

Sean, everything takes me forever to be done… so, whats new?

It did come out NICE !

I remember somebody doing that a few years ago. Turned out nice.

Tom,

I believe you might be talking about the fence backdrop that Chris Walas painted on Howard Sheldon’s fence for his garden railroad. That’s been many years ago! :slight_smile:

Michael Moradzadeh said:

For the upcoming planned railroad, a good long run will be on benchwork along the back fence. While I plan buildings and storefronts along this, there will be a great deal of fence just there, unadorned.

I’m thinking some sort of backdrop (painted sky? Printed or bas relief cliffs or mountains? Neutral color?) would make sense.

Vinyl is your friend …never completed my overall plan myself

Well, not on a fence but on the side of the train shed. Here is a partial view of what we did on the side of the train shed years ago. Just all latex paint, on a rough wood fence you might need a different medium.

Rick

Well,

Rick Marty, I am loving that. It’s close to what I was imagining, but with a little more hill. As luck would have it, I was anchored off Angel Island yesterday, and it made a splendid layout, with a Civil War camp right in the middle (Angel Island, CA has the largest collection of Civil War buildings in the country, because nothing got blown up here). I snapped a pic I hope to upload, but here’s a close-up of the West Garrison. I’d want to build out the brick building (the Magazine) and just image the rest.

West Garrison

Michael,

That’s a neat picture and would make a great backdrop painting for the area of your railroad. The good thing about backdrop paintings is that you can put in or leave out as much detail as you want and they still turn out great.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Rick

Here’s the full-sized image. I figure once I scale it to make the magazine building the proper size, it will easily cover the entire fence, and it will give me a bit of a smile to use a bit of landscape I love in a spot where no train has or likely ever will ever run.

" Rooster " said:

Michael Moradzadeh said:

Vinyl is your friend …never completed my overall plan myself

Would be fantastic printed in vinyl (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yeah, I am thinking printed vinyl will work nicely. Pricing is pretty modest, and I can still apply it in multiple layers to get a bit of dimensionality if I don’t like the way it looks flat.

Great pic! If your fence is not smooth it will end up looking like a print on a fence. You can solve that with a sheet of 3mm foamed PVC board. Also, hope your photo is 20 megapixel or better so that it won’t get blocky (pixelated) when enlarged.