Large Scale Central

Anyone used this material?

Just ran across this ShapeCrete material, sold at my local H’Depot. I’m considering using it for bridge piers. Has anyone used it? Opinions on permanent outdoor use, painting, workability? (They say it’s good for garden objects).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-ShapeCrete-20-lb-Shape-able-Concrete-Mix-65450022/206154338

Let us know how it works for you.

It might be what I need for my Mik bridge, the plastic backing warped in the heat. My ‘stone’ abutments are ruined…

John

John Caughey said:

Let us know how it works for you.

It might be what I need for my Mik bridge, the plastic backing warped in the heat. My ‘stone’ abutments are ruined…

John

Ouch John (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)That’s a shame - they looked so good. I hope you can salvage them somehow.

The ShapeCrete looks really cool and not too expensive to experiment with.

Bummer John, sorry to hear that.

It will be a while until I get to this bridge, so you might beat me to experimenting with this. Maybe it will help.

Ironically, it’s thanks to you that I bumped into this product. I was trying to remember that white powder stuff you made me buy, and it worked great. The cement stuff. Couldn’t remember what it was called, but this product came up in the search.

Oh! Ding! Cementall, it just finally came to me, haha!

That looks like interesting stuff Cliffy.

Cliff Jennings said:

Bummer John, sorry to hear that.

It will be a while until I get to this bridge, so you might beat me to experimenting with this. Maybe it will help.

Ironically, it’s thanks to you that I bumped into this product. I was trying to remember that white powder stuff you made me buy, and it worked great. The cement stuff. Couldn’t remember what it was called, but this product came up in the search.

Oh! Ding! Cementall, it just finally came to me, haha!

AND it was because of you investigating, that I add the Flow Control to my CementAll by Rapid Set.

I’m thinking a used rolling pin from Goodwill, not SWMBO’s drawer, and wax paper to roll out some slabs.

The plastic ‘stones’ are popping off, it’s the real stones that have me hesitating!

John

Looks like some cool stuff.

Definitely interesting, but there seems to be a lot of air pockets in the finished pieces. I wonder if you can add a small amount of water to make a smooth fluid finish?

Mike Wlez said:

Definitely interesting, but there seems to be a lot of air pockets in the finished pieces. I wonder if you can add a small amount of water to make a smooth fluid finish?

The first blurb says; just add water.

Maybe some extra water can help you mix it out. It seems too thick to vacuum the air out.

Try adding some Flow Control. It’s an additive that increases fluidity… in normal Rapid Set cement products.

John

Here’s a usage guide, indicating that more or less water helps for different purposes (at least in the two recipes mentioned).

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/b7/b7d6ff61-04ae-4830-8fc3-a09c4b00d1a3.pdf

And a cool site about ShapeCrete in general, with some neat ideas.

http://www.shapecrete.com/projects

Cliff reading the questions at the bottom, it sdays to let it cure for 28 days then paint with a sealant to waterproof. So, it may not be good for piers, not sure if sealant will need to be re-applied. I may get a tub to see what can be done with it, or just read the label to see what it says

John Caughey said:

Mike Wlez said:

The first blurb says; just add water.

Maybe some extra water can help you mix it out. It seems too thick to vacuum the air out.

Try adding some Flow Control. It’s an additive that increases fluidity… in normal Rapid Set cement products.

John

DOH!, I didn’t read the whole ad, and when I watched the video, I saw them dumping it out of a bucket, so I assumed it was pre-mixed.

We appear to be a similar item marketed in the UK & called CASSINIS’S OUTDOOR PLASTER OF PARIS in powder form-.

It is suitable for garden ornaments and dries white(ish). It can be painted after it dries or colour powder or pigment added to it during mixing. Goes rock hard and can be drilled…

Cassini instructions for it here if UK readers are interested.

http://www.maragon.co.uk/cassiniguide.html

Pete Lassen said:

Cliff reading the questions at the bottom, it sdays to let it cure for 28 days then paint with a sealant to waterproof. So, it may not be good for piers, not sure if sealant will need to be re-applied. I may get a tub to see what can be done with it, or just read the label to see what it says

Good point Pete. But here’s another FAQ answer,

Do I need to seal? If not, when is it recommended?

While you don’t have to seal your project, sealers reduce the natural porosity of concrete and this will help create a resistance against staining. It’s recommended for projects that you want to minimize natural wear and patina. Ultimately, use a sealer—or don’t use a sealer—depending on what type of concrete surface finish you desire.

It sounds like, if I don’t care about staining / appearance, it’s ok.