Large Scale Central

Solar eclipse

1000 PDT, Almost half way occluded. So cool to watch with my NASA approved shades. Outside, there is as much light as a very cloudy day, but with shadows.

My SD 45 doesn’t seem to mind. The chickens are confused.

1031 PDT, 92% occluded. I’m surprised at how much light there still is. The light filtered through the trees forms multiple crescents in the shadows. So, instead of blotches of light through the trees, there are crescents.

1034 PDT, well, 92% was all we got. The crescents have shifted 90 degrees. Almost like dusk. Temp dropped noticeably. It was much darker under the porch roof, than out in the yard.

I too was amazed at how much it didn’t get dark. And the dark we got was a weird dark, like smoke haze. But still very bright considering only 8% was shining down on us.

It was eerily quiet, too.

Hit 100% here, but the reflection off the clouds didn’t allow it to get to dark. Was nice a cool though.

Was quiet here too, even on the margins of the effect. The birds hunkered down for awhile.

As I was looking at the sun, through my NASA approved shades (don’t try to walk with them on, ask me how I know this (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)), I saw a crescent of fire on the moon, too. Way cool.

Noisy here. Thunder for the most part. I looked at the sun, but it was behind the clouds…

Was somewhat overcast here. When it first started the cloud cover was heavy enough that you could view the beginning with the naked eye just looking up through our solar film. Later it got to bright to view and we didn’t have the solar glasses.

At least we didn’t pay $10,000 a piece, like some, for sky box seats only to see the last three seconds. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Here in Southwest Oregon the smoke from all the forest fires actually made for great viewing of the eclipse. In our area the smoke was high so no breathing problems and very cool temperatures. Forcast high temp today is 94 but at noon it is only 68, don’t think it is going to make it.

The dense smoke sure killed it for all the folks that built the peep hole viewers, no shadows and the folks wanting to photograph all the beautiful shadow effects were outa luck. It is pretty much over and the smoke is starting to settle lower, starting to smell it again, oh well.

Hope you all enjoyed the show as much as we did.

Rick

Devon Sinsley said:

I too was amazed at how much it didn’t get dark. And the dark we got was a weird dark, like smoke haze. But still very bright considering only 8% was shining down on us.

Yea, same here…Yawn.

Slapped a “filthy” welding mask over the camera and got this. Ain’t perfect but I’ll keep them

We had a total eclipse here… Could look at it when it was fully eclipsed with the naked eye for a few minutes… Was a bright halo all around the moon… Got that smokey grey color here, also… Dog wasn’t sure what to think about it…

We got about the same results here. I think we eclipsed a little more than that.

Here is “sunny Florida” we saw squat, as it was pouring rain! What a disappointment. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

We were in the car driving back from Buffalo. Made a quick and dirty pinhole viewer out of two cards. It worked OK, but not impressive. The pictures on TV when we got home were much cooler.

I was outside as it got darker, the little boy wanted to peek. I came inside and watched on tv.

Here in Sandy Eggo we got 57% coverage, which reduced the sun to a pretty respectable crescent. I used my binoculars to project the image onto a sheet of white Sintra.

The sunlight was eerie – a lot dimmer than normal, about like on an overcast day, but with sharp shadows unlike when it’s overcast.