Large Scale Central

And now, hopefully, to run trains.

At long last my re-built layout is ready to run trains, well almost. The original had too sharp curves, was mainly mounted on wood which rotted, plus there were so rather large birch trees which had inconveniently decided to grow on the track bed. Plus it was track powered. Some good fun with the chain saw and some considerable expense and time has resulted in the re-build.

Some of the track is on rockery, some on raised beds and some on a ladder made from recycled plastic which is wonderful stuff. There are a few issues with some radius three curves on the rockery and I would like to replace some rad three switches with handbuilt of which I have a few. Still, i have today run my faithful Connie around the track so we are off and running . I have included a tressle, made from hardwood kindly donated by my daughters fiance who is a cabinet maker, a long steel tressle made from a display rack from my wife’s work, a double track girder and a tunnel mouth which doubles as a snow shed at the other end. Planting is ongoing but coming along fine, mostly from the casualty sections of local garden centres. Ballast is crushed granite obtained locally at around £5 a large bag.

Best of all my locomotives are now all battery radio controlled, two connies, a 4-4-0, a K27 with sound and plus a live steam C21, again with radio. Rolling stock is a mix of handbuilt passenger cars, handbuilt freight cars plus some Accucraft and Bachman 1.20 flats and box cars. There is also a MOW train with rail and tie car, rail and tie car, work flat anda RGS plow flanger.

A few pics attached with more to follow as and when.

Off for a trip behind Gresley new build Tornado on Saturday which wil bring back memories of trackside train spotting from my youth.

Regards to all and thanks to numerous posters on this site for iinspiration and advice.

David

Looks great David, Congratulations on finishing the rebuild. Wish I was close to finished(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Looks good, David. It will be fun to run on.

Looks good, David. What part of the USA are you running in?

Great looking railroad. I see the track inspector is doing the job in the 5th pic…

Lou Luczu said:

Looks good, David. What part of the USA are you running in?

Lou, he is listing cost in pounds, and is going to go ride behind the Tornado, so my guess is he is in England.

Thanks for all your kind comments, yes I suppose that I should have said that I am located in the coastal area of East Anglia but the £s, not Euros!!! was a clue.

Track inspection is done by Malcolm, brother to Poppy a pair of rescue cats we got as kittens.

Hopefully fire up the steamer this weekend if we get a break from the rain, we had a months worth today so it is all a little damp.

Regards

David

Looks very nice, David. (Didn’t it used to be “Bunny”?)