Large Scale Central

Phoenix / Windows 10 issue

Anyone know how to get the Phoenix programmer to work in windows 10? All I get is failed ports.

Bob Russell

Do you have a true serial port or are you using a USB adapter?

Hi Bob, sometimes my Win 10 loses the Phoenix connection. I unplug and re-plug and might have to reboot. You should use the USB cable only with WIN 10. When I plug in the adapter you should hear the chime for the USB. As I write this, if you have no board connected you will get the message, disconnected. But you can still view files by selecting file, edit ROM. The list of files will be displayed. See if they are loaded?

Next call Jim at Phoenix, but next week. He will walk you thru it. They are closed attending the NGRC in Oklahoma City.

Just saying, I see they have a April 2017 USB driver so make sure you have the latest downloads.

Don

I’m not a fan of Win 10 but are you trying it under Administrator …clueless on this issue with Phoenix and only trying to help for perhaps it’s something simple. I miss simplicity a lot.

first, does the port show up? (you look in the control panel)… if so what com number?

also, you may need an updated driver, or even a different usb to serial.

Let’s start with the first question…

Greg

The only port option listed in the Phoenix program always seems to be Port #1 and if I go to Device manager and change the port setting it still comes back as a failed port. I did a driver update and it says I have the most updated driver.

Hi Bob, on my WIN 10 computer, the Phoenix program shows com5.

OK, trying to help.

When you plug in a USB to serial device, the system PICKS a COM port for you. You have to KNOW what it is.

Instead of guessing all possible COM ports possible (start at 1 and go to infinity), you go to the CONTROL PANEL, and then the DEVICE MANAGER and you can see what COM port (if any) is assigned.

See the image below, COM7 in my case.

Then you put that COM port number in the program. There is no guessing and no consistency of the COM number.

Let me know if you need help getting to the Windows Device Manager (you go to the “traditional” control panel, not the Windows Action Center)

Greg

p.s. there are a lot of illegal clones of the IC used in these devices. Recent drivers detect the clone chip and make it not work. This has happened to us at work, we bought the cheap $1.50 clone cables for a while, no more. While generating this post, I used an old one, and the driver did not install right, threw the cheap clone cable away and put in a name brand FTDI one and it worked. Again this is new Win 8, 8.1 10, because of the new driver, that detects the clone IC.

Still striking out so I will put things on hold till the Phoenix guys get back from Tulsa.

Isn’t technology wunderful?

Bob, did you find the screen I showed you?

This procedure is something you need to know, because, as I said, the COM number can change.

Greg

Yes, I know how to change port numbers but the problem is when I plug in the cord you see a yellow warning fail triangle.

Bob Russell said:

Still striking out so I will put things on hold till the Phoenix guys get back from Tulsa.

Bob I thank this is your best bet. I have talked with Jim and had good luck.

Richard

So, you probably have a USB to serial cable with an illegal clone chip, and the windows driver will load but fail.

big deal, the main manufacturer FTDI went to some lengths to stop the clones. I’m pretty sure this is your problem.

I can point you to a cable that will work perfectly with a legitimate FTDI chip in it.

Like I said, I just tested this myself with a clone cable and got the same results as you. Plugging in a quality unit with a legitimate chip instantly worked.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

So, you probably have a USB to serial cable with an illegal clone chip, and the windows driver will load but fail.

big deal, the main manufacturer FTDI went to some lengths to stop the clones. I’m pretty sure this is your problem.

I can point you to a cable that will work perfectly with a legitimate FTDI chip in it.

Like I said, I just tested this myself with a clone cable and got the same results as you. Plugging in a quality unit with a legitimate chip instantly worked.

Greg

Greg,

Is that cable (the “legitimate” cable) a Key Span cable? I have used that one for over 9 years and never had a problem with Phoenix and my ports. I think it was about $35-$40 then.

@ Greg - Good info. I still have a PC with a full serial port I use with my Phoenix; but when that goes belly up I’ll be needing a USB to Serial adapter. A friend gave me one a few months ago that I put on the shelf for future needs. I guess I should try it and toss it if it won’t work.

@Bob - Good luck. Let us know if we can provide any more help.

Jon don’t know if this helps you but this is from Phoenix" There are several after market USB to Serial adapters you may purchase. Keyspan makes an adapter called, ‘Keyspan USB Serial Adapter.’ It is basically plug and play to set up, and can be purchased online or at various stores(CompUSA, Best buy, Circuit City…). We have tested the Keyspan USB Serial Adapter and found it to work without out any problems. This has been tested on win 98 and XP. Please be sure that you purchase a full serial adapter and NOT a USB PDA adapter or USB Serial PDA adapter. Belkin makes several of models of each, so please be careful with your choices. For more information on specific adapters, please see our Knowledgebase entry with test results for certain adapters." I have a keyspan and could not get to work on 3 computers, called Jim at Phoenix 15 min. later all 3 were working.

richard

Richard Beverly said:

Jon don’t know if this helps you but this is from Phoenix" There are several after market USB to Serial adapters you may purchase. Keyspan makes an adapter called, ‘Keyspan USB Serial Adapter.’ It is basically plug and play to set up, and can be purchased online or at various stores(CompUSA, Best buy, Circuit City…). We have tested the Keyspan USB Serial Adapter and found it to work without out any problems. This has been tested on win 98 and XP. Please be sure that you purchase a full serial adapter and NOT a USB PDA adapter or USB Serial PDA adapter. Belkin makes several of models of each, so please be careful with your choices. For more information on specific adapters, please see our Knowledgebase entry with test results for certain adapters." I have a keyspan and could not get to work on 3 computers, called Jim at Phoenix 15 min. later all 3 were working.

richard

Richard,

This is the cable I commented about on a previous post. Like I said before, been using it for over 9 years and works fine for me on XP Pro (I REFUSE to upgrade :))

A cable 9 years old is probably not an illegal clone, but it’s very possible the driver is not working with windows 10.

A quick google of “keyspan usb serial driver problem windows 10” shows people having problems with Windows 7 even… so for that specific question, you might have issues on windows 8 and above with the Keyspan one.

Anyway, back to the OP, Bob, I’m pretty darn sure I have identified your problem (twice)… clearly the driver you have installed is not compatible with the hardware you have. Whether you can find a new driver or it’s better to get a new cable, well, I have given my opinion too, get a new one.

I help people with computers all the time, and in this realm, I’m pretty much an expert. If you are savvy, try different drivers until it loads without error showing in the device manager. If you are not so savvy, buy a new cable that comes with a Windows 10 driver or contains a genuine FTDI chip…

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Converter-Adapter-Chipset-Windows/dp/B00QUZY4L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500161067&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+to+serial+ftdi

Finally I have it working. Same cord but found a new driver. Bingo!!!