Large Scale Central

LGB Field railway Metal Wheel Size

Would anyone know what the tread diameter is on the LGB field railway wheels ?

20mm

Mick

Engines or cars, are they the same or different??

Dan,

I recently acquired a few cars - 4044 gondolas, stake cars, wine barrel, etc. I measured the plastic wheels at 30mm, or about 1 1/8 inch. None have metal wheels, and I have been wondering where to get metal equivalents.

I get metal wheels for all of my LGB cars through Train-Li

LGB does make the FRR metal rimmed wheels.

A long time ago I found metal frr wheels with bushings/power pickups, and looking at Gary Raymond sitthey have G 20 for the small cars (.889 diameter tread).

I guess I am just confused. Exactly which cars are we talking about? My LGB 4044 cars (and the other types I own) have 1.19" wheels.

Interesting. I took a look at my other Feldbahn cars and found that some have small wheels. If they have the curved-end metal frame (typical of the 4043 hopper) then they have big 30mm wheels. If they have the square frame, then they get 20mm wheels. This pic of the 49170 "rural railroad’ set shows the two sizes.

I should have been more specific. The field railway cars I was thinking of are the ones with the 20mm wheels. I already have a considerable amount of the pseudo field railway cars with the 31mm wheels.

LGB called the 20mm wheel cars “Field Railway” in their catalogs when they were introduced. I do not believe the cars with the 31mm wheels were ever referred to as Field Railway cars.

Now that we have all of that out of the way, I was thinking that Bachmann 24mm metal wheels could be used on the LGB Field railway cars, as the LGB type seem to be difficult to come by.

Dan, I picked up a few of the LGB ones from Train Li at the ECLSTS.

These were delivered yesterday from Train-Li: *picture would not insert??

PAZ Album

largescalecentral.com/albums/photo/view/album_id/12317/photo_id/111752

While hopping around eBay looking at ‘field railway’ stuff, I found the LGB 67343 steel wheels, 20mm, for Field Railway cars. Only Trains seems to sell them for $19.99/set of 4 wheels on 2 axles.

I ordered some Gary Raymond wheels as a test - 0.889 (22mm) and 1.156 (30mm) for $5.95 axle blackened ($4.95 unpainted.)