Large Scale Central

2018 ECLSTS Multi-club modular operation

Would an attempt to establish a “world record” modular layout at ECLSTS be a reasonable endeavor? There are a large number of logistical obstacles to overcome, but is there sufficient interest to attempt this endeavor? Some discussion has occurred over the past two years regarding this subject. The discussion has been private among several individuals and the groups they represent. Are there sufficient clubs in the Eastern U. S. to participate and would the effort result in a record.

I have posted on other fora and received some limited interest. I would welcome any and all comments from members of this forum regarding this type of effort.

Respectfully,

NYC Buff

If there is such a record, how many modules were in the set up? If the number needed far exceeds what can reasonably be assembled in the memorial hall, then the question is moot.

Gordon G. Perrin, Jr. said:

Would an attempt to establish a “world record” modular layout at ECLSTS be a reasonable endeavor? There are a large number of logistical obstacles to overcome, but is there sufficient interest to attempt this endeavor? Some discussion has occurred over the past two years regarding this subject. The discussion has been private among several individuals and the groups they represent. Are there sufficient clubs in the Eastern U. S. to participate and would the effort result in a record.

I have posted on other fora and received some limited interest. I would welcome any and all comments from members of this forum regarding this type of effort.

Respectfully,

NYC Buff

Gordon, Will your club be leading the way in this attempt ? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Sounds very cool. There is plenty of time yet to figure how each layout combines to build the big one and build the connecting pieces that will be needed. If it was advertised that a world record would be broken, I’m sure that would be a big draw. I know I wouldn’t want to miss it.

In order to attempt such a challenge, the organizers would have to think, and plan, well outside the proverbial “Box”.

First; are all modular groups using the same standards ?

Second; in order to get enough moduals into the hall; the whole plan would have to be much more creative than just one large oval. This is done regularly by HO groups, using computer assistance, and often including one or more point-to-point branch lines, where relatively simple “Operations” can take place.

Included in looking at “Standards”; a lot of planning would have to go into planning the electrical system(s). It would have to be all DCC, or all DC…of course Battery, Radio Control, could go anywhere on either system.

If this is ever likely to happen, the work, and communication, between clubs, would have to start NOW, or have started a month or so ago…

The old saying, often heard in LS circles, of “We don’t need any dammed STANDARDS”, will have to be put aside, whether anyone would want to or not.

It would be a rather interesting challenge, and probably worth investigating.

Fred Mills

If you want to see what successful planning of large module groups look like, start looking at the other side of the pond. Those Europeans have been building huge, multi day modules for a long time. When I say huge, I mean filling an exhibition hall full with a fully interoperable group of modules that take 4+ hours to make a lap around.
http://www.scarm.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/35-years-FREMO-complete-track_plan.png

That European plan shows a whole lot of non connected modular railroads, crammed into a space, but leaving very little room for spectators, let alone operators. So…what is the point of that ?

Setting records might be a fun thing to try to do, but without the paying public to help pay the rent, it might hit a few groups rather hard in the money pocket. There is also the need to have a “Comfortable” amount of space for the operators. True, more operators should get out and “Involve” the spectators, thus promoting the enjoyment of the hobby, but they do need enough “Private” space to do repairs and store personal items safely.

In my first note, I mentioned Standards, and Planning…I add, the other important item…the paying public, and what they can expect, when paying the admission fee. The organizers of the ECLSTS, have to make a profit, in order to keep the show going, so that rental costs of the big hall devoted to a record setting Large Scale Modular railroad, have to come from a large audience, of paying customers. And it “Ain’t Cheap”…!!

Fred Mills

Fred,
Its not a show for the public, but rather for operators/modelers to run. The modules are all Freemo modules. Freemo has very basic requirements about the connections between modules, so often times you can create complex and interesting modules and layouts.
http://www.free-mo.org/about