Large Scale Central

See the lights on the MM & BS RR

One last video before I pack it all up and abandon the MM & BS RR for the summer.

See the lights of the Mt. Meterbox & Bare Sands RR as you ride along from twilight to total darkness. 100-some LEDs in and out of the buildings come to life.

Nice video, Mike, how are the lights powered, by solar or wiring?

Thanks! They are wired to an old Malibu Landscape low voltage transformer. I use bullet connectors to unhook the structures for summer storage, which has to happen by this weekend. :frowning: We head north to PA for the summer.

The LEDs are SMT strips. I buy a reel of 300 for about $8 at Amazon and you can cut every 3 and just supply 12 volts. led

I buy the non waterproof. They are cheaper, and after the strip is wired and placed in/on the structure, I encapsulate it in clear silicone. That provides waterproofing, insulation, and adds mechanical strength.

Thanks Mike, just what I was looking for. About to start building my RR and was wondering how to get light power to buildings and such.

Do you also have a layout in your Northern home? Must be difficult to keep maintained when you are gone half the year

Pete Lassen said:

Thanks Mike, just what I was looking for. About to start building my RR and was wondering how to get light power to buildings and such.

In this PDF, besides building a resort pool, there are photos and links of the parts that go into my lighting.

Pete Lassen said:

Do you also have a layout in your Northern home? Must be difficult to keep maintained when you are gone half the year

No railroad in PA since the mid 2000 when we lived there. We moved to Florida and I didn’t start building this layout until February 2013. So there are about 30 months total of work/enjoyment and 5 months each summer of missing it. Everything (except track) goes in the shed, the locos and electronics go in the house with A/C set to 82 to keep the Florida humidity in check. It’s the opposite of a railroad up north, if you put everything away for the winter. Takes longer to set back up than to put away, LOL!

Mike,

That was fascinating! Nice work and great looking RR. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Mike,

That was a great video! Layout seems to become “living, breathing” things once the lights come on. I’m sad to see your layout go. :frowning:

Mike …you should hook up with the PA possie while up here …just saying

Thanks guys! Don’t worry, it’ll be more improved next winter season. That’s what keeps me going, thinking about a fresh canvas in the fall.

Rooster, are you talking SEPGRS or PMGRRS? I usually go to the Hamburg train show over the summer, and any other chances to find a deal. A few summers, the van was tight with stuff coming back to Florida, LOL!