Large Scale Central

Rooster pole heads

Has anyone made their own rooster pole heads? I have a few from Ozark’s (pic). But by the time I drill the pin hole, there isn’t enough material left around the hole for a good sturdy coupling.

I’d like to see what others have done.

And let the Rooster jokes begin…

I have made simple functional roosterpoles using a 1/4"square peice of wood with a bit of copper wire bent back on itself, twisted leaving an eye for the pin. the twisted end was trimmed then inserted into a hole drilled in the end of the pole and doused in superglue. simple and effective if not very prototypical.

the ones above can be easily made by folding a strip of brass back on itself, spread out to fit the pole and drilled for a pin. use 1/8"x 0.030 brass and 1/16 drill for the hole. addition of NBW or escutcheon pins for detail and strength.

Haha …Eric shut you down!

John,

here are a couple, of several, I made years and years ago to replace the stock poles on the LGB dis-connects. They were made very much like Eric described above. I used 14 gauge copper wire but flattened it after bending the loop. Not sure why, just seemed like the thing to do. I used a piece of 22 gauge black iron bent to cover the top and down the face. The holes for the loop were drilled and the wire set in Epoxy. The “bolts” in the top are short finish nails with the head filed square to look like old, what else, square head bolts.

These shown are 4 inches long, I made some in 6 and 8 inch lengths as well. Oh, the wood is old growth Redwood 1/2 X 1/4, sorry the picture is a little fuzzy.

Rick

All good ideas. Thanks!

John: I use the Ozark units but I don’t drill the holes over size and they work just fine. A long Rooster allows longer logs. How ever in one of my books on Logging, there is a photo of over 100 foot long trees on tow disconnects!

Paul