Large Scale Central

new Forum Topic category

I have been looking in different catagories and am just wondering if having a category just for layout and landscape wiring, to show the tricks tips and ideas forwhat you did or used to wire your layout,( and please do not just bomb this with " go battery No wiring " ) and for lighting the buildings, signal, switches and possibly sound for details. I wonder if this is enough of a subject with enough ideas, questions and so on to add. Thoughts everyone??

I agree. A good idea. Wiring variables are always an interesting topic. Particularly structure lighting and switches.

There already exists the POWER AND SOUND category. That would seem to be the logical place for it. Perhaps we can get Bob to breakout your categories, along with Battery Power, like he did for Greg E, with DCC.

Devon

There is the section called Track and Trestles… that might a good place for such things. It is not as busy as some of the other categories so posts would tend to stay near the top.

I have not seen very many people post the details of wiring. Maybe there just is not a broad interest.

Steve Featherkile said:

There already exists the POWER AND SOUND category. That would seem to be the logical place for it. Perhaps we can get Bob to breakout your categories, along with Battery Power, like he did for Greg E, with DCC.

The trouble with this is the this category is almost really exclusively related to locomotive wiring issues. Pete’s idea would logically be under Tracks and Trestles, I never understood why track power discussions should be in the same category as wiring your engine for sound? There is also no specific category for layouts and layout planning, why? I usually put my layout posts into Tracks and Trestles because that seams to be the logical place. So Pete’s suggestion should be a subcatagory for Tracks and Trestles or maybe that category should simply be relabeled Track Planning and Layouts, then Pete’s wiring subjects could fall under that heading?

From the header in POWER AND SOUND.

"Battery? Track Power? Sound? Lights? Talk about it here.

Boomer K. said:

Devon

There is the section called Track and Trestles… that might a good place for such things. It is not as busy as some of the other categories so posts would tend to stay near the top.

I have not seen very many people post the details of wiring. Maybe there just is not a broad interest.

Put the crack pipe down Boomer …we are talking to Pete here !

Rooster… He probably has spent too much time with his smoker…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Power and sound… it’s already there and in use.

Don’t put wiring and electricity with track and trestles, what does hooking up led lighting have to do with tracks and trestles?

And a separate category, well if it’s wiring for power to track, it might be applicable to DC or DCC or MTH DCS… I think adding a further specific category would be a mistake. DCC is different enough that it warrants a separate category (and all the battery guys were complaining ha ha)

A new category is a double edged sword, it helps organize and keep stuff related together in one spot, but adds a new place to search.

Greg

I think we have too many categories as it is.

Looking thru first 5 pages of the Power and Sound category, a high majority of the posts are about locomotive power and sound in some way. If there was a post regarding building lighting (for instance) it could become buried a few pages back in just a few month’s time. I could easily see a sub-category dedicated to layout, building, and landscaping wiring, lighting, sound, animation, etc. If DCC in a locomotive is different enough than battery power in a locomotive, then building lighting (for instance) should be considered the same.

Chris