Large Scale Central

How To Disassemble LGB 26630 White Pass #3 Shutting Diesel

I’ve disassembled several LGB American Shutting Diesel models to install DCC power and/sound decoders with no problem. But this LGB 26630 Chinese-assembled unit has stumped me on how to remove the two metal handrails going into the top, front engine compartment. On the German or Hungry made diesels, these two metal wires just pull out. But I’ve tried to pull them out of this model and they do not come out even with trying to leverage them with pliers. I’m wondering if the Chinese folks crimped the ends of these wires inside the engine compartment, thus making them impossible to pull out without damaging the front of the engine compartment. Without removing these two metal wires, it’s impossible to lift off the engine cover and engineer cabin to then be able to access the enclosed circuit board. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated for removing these two metal wires.

I’ve got the Hungarian-made version (according to the sticker on the box), and the ends of the handrails on mine were bent at 90-degrees and inserted into the cab so they wouldn’t pull out. I don’t know if they inserted them first, then slid the hood on, then installed the finials on the handrails or how they did things, but they weren’t coming out for love or money. I think the theory was that you’d remove the cab and hood together, then fold the hood up towards the roof, and the bent ends of the handrails would slide out of the cab when you folded the hood upwards.

Good theory, I guess, but I ended up just cutting the ends off at the cab wall with a pair of wire cutters. Much simpler for reassembly. A small drop of glue on one of the stanchions will hold the handrails in place once reassembled.

Later,

K

Maybe you should cut them off flush with the cab front. When reassembling maybe they can be slid rearward. JMHO (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Joe/Kevin - Thanks for the advice…looks like I’ll also have to cut the wires as close as possible to get them out.

Another question about Chinese assembled LGB locos. Is there a master list someplace of which of the locos is Chinese made? I was thinking of buying the LGB 27253 SR&RLRR Forney Steam Loco and was wondering if it was Chinese made? I recall some Chinese-made locos did not use Buehler motors.

Thomas White said: I recall some Chinese-made locos did not use Buehler motors.

Not to my knowledge. German Motor is there but gearing is an issue. However I’m only familiar with Amtrash as everyone calls it.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)