Large Scale Central

One more weathered Chessie Hopper

One more weathered. I wanted to try and fade the logo a bit on this one. That was a struggle. Everything I tried, didn’t turn out right. In the end, it looks o.k. From a distance it looks pretty good. So, I’m thinking in a consist it will be fine.

Side one:

Other side:

And the top. I faded a couple of the roof hatches a little. They might need some more fading and I need to put a little rust on the hinges.

I still have the wheels and the ends to do, but that shouldn’t take to long. I’m looking forward to seeing this one out in a long train.

Looks plenty faded to me. Good job.

looks great!

Nice job, Matt…

Looks good Matt !

Nothing like a some rust to make things just right.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

600 grit and drag down from the top on the logo Cuz. I think I know what your looking for. Get some cheap chalks and sand them down on the paper before dragging it down the car.

That car looks great!

Thanks guys!

Cuz, I did the sand paper trick. I forgot now who told me about it. It still didn’t do what I wanted. The paint on these AML hopper is not very thick. It took a small chunk out of the “C”. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)So, I tried some different things. I had some acetone…and something else that I can’t remember. Nothing really faded it. So, I diluted some white paint and would dab it on. I waited until it was almost dry, then took another clean paper towel and would dab some off. I waited until it was dry and cleared it. I bet I did that 20 times or more. I think it looks o.k. It’s not over done, like a few of the others I did. I could probably use some more paint to give it a bit more fade on the logo, but I still need to finish the ends. I just haven’t had time. THANKS!!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

One way to fade the lettering on cars is to spray a light coat of the base colour of the car onto the car. Since I am weathering the cars, I usually go a shade or two lighter then the base colour, to “age” the whole car.

David Maynard said:

One way to fade the lettering on cars is to spray a light coat of the base colour of the car onto the car. Since I am weathering the cars, I usually go a shade or two lighter then the base colour, to “age” the whole car.

So, on this car you would pick a color a few shades lighter than the yellow and spray the whole car?

Yea, either a shade lighter, or a shade more tan. You just want to fade the lettering, and make the base colour look a bit faded and sun bleached.

That’s just what I do. You are doing such a good job, don’t let me discourage you any.

David, I’m not sure I’m brave enough to try that. lol. Maybe if I could get my hands on a cheap car I’d try that. lol.

Thanks! I have no idea what I’m doing. But I think the cars are looking better. Especially compared to the first couple I did. I’d like to repain that AML CSX hopper. It doesn’t look right.

I finally found the picture. Before the grime and dirt colours were sprayed on this car, I sprayed it with a variation of puke green to fade the lettering

As for repainting the car you have, you could paint gray rectangular blocks on it where the lettering goes, and re-letter it. The big boys do that to cover up urban artwork, A.K.A. graffiti.

You should repaint that CSX car Matt. I’m not saying the car looks bad now , but I know as you go along your skills improve and it doesn’t meet the level of detail you are looking for. Just a suggestion , paint it all grey , call Stan and have him make a sheet of decal reporting marks such as CONX 9922107 or CSX 992102 and all the little data that is on the car and then weather that. Stan made me a sheet years ago and I still use it on some of my projects. When your done it might be one of your favorite cars.

David, that was sprayed with a puke green. That amazes me that it didn’t just turn the white logo’s green!!! I can’t seem to wrap my head around that. haha.

I did want to re-badge a car and that was in the plans. I have another I may do that too. The CSX is just too far gone for me to re-badge it.

Mike, I really think it does look bad. It was the second or third time I’ve ever tried weathering and didn’t have a whole lot of supplies when I did it. Like you said, I’ve gotten a little better at my weathering and now that car just looks bad. Right now I’m leaning towards the same color and getting stan(or somebody) to make some family lines system decals.

Sounds good Matt cant wait to see it.