Large Scale Central

Gas Station

Maybe some have seen this photo before but I just ran across it and I am definitely going to have to find a spot on the new railroad to include this scene!

No restrooms, soda machines, or Starbucks. Just gas

Rick

That is really cool. This is the one I want to build for my layout.

Chris

I think this one is perfect for Vic…

It was in LA; Umbrella Gas

John

Rick, Do you think they are filling their holding tank from that tank car, or using the tank car as their storage tank.

What would be neat is to build a stub siding next to your gas station and have a tank car as a storage tank.

If you were to do that, you could make it a multi-fuel dealer and push the tank car to the end of the trestle so you still had room for a hopper to dump coal into a bin below. Add some interest and operation to the scene.

Chris

John Bouck said:

Rick, Do you think they are filling their holding tank from that tank car, or using the tank car as their storage tank.

What would be neat is to build a stub siding next to your gas station and have a tank car as a storage tank.

My guess is that the tank car is the storage tank. I would think that in that era the tank cars were plentiful and cheap while installing and maintaining an underground tank not so much.

Chris, That’s a good idea, it would add further interest and use.

Here’s my favorite gas station, located in Zillah, WA, near Yakima. This was inspired by the Teapot Dome Scandle that nearly toppled the Harding Administration.

http://www.cityofzillah.us/teapot.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teapot_Dome_Service_Station

John Bouck said:

If I remember correctly the tank car is filling the trucks with home heating oil. Farther along on the trestle, I think there was a coal dock.

Shorpy is a great resource.

John

John Bouck said:

There was a line (chain?) of gas stations that did that. They ran the line from the tank car right to the pump. That way they didn’t have to have any storage tanks.