Large Scale Central

Arduino Based Auto-Reverse - video

I have posted a new video to YouTube that shows the new Auto-Reverse unit that I just finished. It utilizes an Arduino and can support a variety of power control units. It also can be used with an unlimited number of station stops. These can also be triggered by one set of switches (usually reed switches) when going forward and another when going backward. This helps to get the train or trolley to stop at just the right position at a station regardless of its direction of travel.

It also can be set to have the trolley decelerate just before it gets to each end of the point-to-point.

The video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJLxqO-Pcls&t=8s

and the web page is here:

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Arduino/BARC/index.htm

All of my Arduino projects are open source - that means that I publish the design and software so you are free to make your own - enjoy!

dave

Do you have a way to allow for the newer digital decoders with supercaps?? These do not stop until these capacitors drain or a digital command is given.

Note to all, everyone needs to be careful with these engines on reversing lines.

Dan - The auto-reverse is designed for non-DCC locomotives (about as basic as you can get) - that said, I did the video with an N-scale trolley that has DCC installed. Seemed to work very well as the trolley has the ability to work from straight DC.

Can you provide a link that explains the electronics in the decoders you asked about?

thanks!

dave

The Zimo MX699 series have supercaps built in and will run several seconds when picked up off the track. The smaller the engine and less power drawn will give longer run times!!

And my non supercap DCC equipped engines will work just fine on a reversing track if the power source is linear/not pulsed.

Dan - thanks for the info - I doubt that too many users would want to do a point-to-point using this controller with a DCC equipped engine - it is really designed for straight DC locomotives / trolleys.

It does use PWM through the H-Bridge - if that is an issue one could easily put a PWM-Linear converter between the output of the controller and the track. I have done this for a few installations and it works well. I use a circuit that is similar to the one originally designed for the Revolution.

dave