Large Scale Central

Fun with telegraphs

I was able to get some telegraph gear at an auction recently, and here it is “installed” and hooked up.

Ya know Morse Code?..(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Of course! But I was only randomly emulating for that demo. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I used to when I was in Boy Scouts, but all I remember now is S0S…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Just kidding Ken, I don’t know Morse – except SOS. Nice that you actually learned it at some point, I never did.

I always wanted to try to use a “Telegraph” system to communicate in our operations here, but few know Morse Code, let alone telegraph Morse. One employs short and long spaces between electrical “Dots” (Telegraph Morse), and Morse Code which employs “Dots and Dashes”.

It would be neat to have an “Operator” at each station, all communicating with a dispatcher who would issue “Train Orders” by telegraph, through the operators, to the trains. This would even be greater if it was done through a single wire on a telegraph line, along the track using “Ground” as the other “Wire”.

Sounds great, but due to lack of “Telegraphers”, and the difficulty maintaining a telegraph line; would soon become a maintenance problem, probably almost as frustrating, or more so, than maintaining track power for running the trains. !!!

I do have a working “Key” and “Sounder” mounted on a fine block of Oak, powered by a 6 volt Gel Cell, used for demonstration purposes. I used to know Morse Code…–.- …- -…-, !!

Neat thoughts Fred. I suppose you could design a simplified code system, tailored to your layout, but it would still be a “language” everyone would have to learn.

I don’t think maintenance would be a big problem, with only a 1-wire system. Ironically, you can still buy keys from a manufacturer who’s been selling them for over a hundred years, Vibroplex.com.

There is still a "Telegraphers’ club in existence, publishing their news letter, “Dots and Dashes”.

I learned Morse Code well enough to pass a 5 word/minute test when I was in high school. Let’s see, that must have been two… no… three weeks ago.

I had a chance to test my memory on a Navy signal lantern, flashing code to another ship.

I don’t remember much, just a few letters come to mind.

My favorite Morse Code demonstration. Like others I learned it in the Boy Scouts, and as with most things from that era, I remember not a whit.

The requirement for Morse code was dropped from the FCC licensing requirements a few years before I got my FCC radiotelephone license. Its a shame, because I would have like to have learned Morse’s code.

Ken Brunt said:

I used to when I was in Boy Scouts, but all I remember now is S0S…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Me too, although now I could be sending OSO … can’t remember which goes first!

John

I think it’s neat to incorporate old prototype equipment into or around the layout, if only to add to the overall ambiance. I have a few items I’ve collected over the years, but I haven’t yet figured out where to put them. Maybe after I get through laying track and building structures.

-… — -… … -.-- – .- -.

David Maynard said:

The requirement for Morse code was dropped from the FCC licensing requirements a few years before I got my FCC radiotelephone license. Its a shame, because I would have like to have learned Morse’s code.

Don’t let a non requirement stop you. All it takes is practice.

Cool. I don’t remember see any of that cool stuff when I worked in the print shop st Union Switch and Signal.

OK Fred mention 6 volt and you are using 12v. What did the original telegraph operate at? Also, not being an electrical guy, what is the relay doing. I assume it is not acting as a step up transformer, changing the voltage. So is it increasing the amperage? And if so how? this thing fascinates me and I was always amazed at how well people communicated with telegraph clear across the country. Thanks for sharing cliff.

Now as for incorporating it into a layout, that gives me an idea. Selective fence electrification. My neighbors new little ankle biting yapping chihuahuas I think are going to ruin my summer. If I install the telegraph system to 1000v and low amps I could learn to type " shut up you little SOB" in Morse code while simultaneously shocking them.

Devon, as a man of the cloth, should you even be thinking such a thing?

David Maynard said:

It’s not a sin if a chihuahua is involved. Hezekiah 3:9 permits up to 10kV for this situation. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Devon, this page explains the Morse relay much better than I could, http://www.morsetelegraphclub.org/wirechief/

But basically the relay is like most others: a weak signal activates the contactor, which then permits a large current to be simultaneously switched. A local battery provided the extra current.

Neat equipment Bob! And great video Mark, thanks, I’ll have to share that with my kids.

In the box of gear I got at the auction, there was also a telephone on a pantograph, with headset and Vibroplex key.

David Maynard said:

As a man the cloth I am supposed to love my neighbor, not their dogs. Besides I think they are the spawn of Satan anyway. But Dave, of course you’re right. And I will have an appropriate conversation with them.

Cliff,

I guess I was trying to overthink it. I can see how it would work as you say it does pretty simply. Nice collection of stuff you got in that lot.

Appropriate conversation. Ah, as in if you don’t get them little noisemakers to knock it off, I will place a plague on your house. The swarm of locusts is expected to arrive next week. Or is that too biblical?