Large Scale Central

Basement train shelves, and access to outdoor RR.

Hey everyone, im starting a new project!

Basement storage shelves for my trains…and then! a method to run complete trains from the basement storage, out to the Garden Railroad! :slight_smile: without lifting up and carrying locos and cars one at a time up the stairs and out to the yard. This build log will cover both parts of the project.

First up, the wall in the basement…

Photos before beginning and before moving things out of the way:

The window in the upper-left corner is a key component of this project! :wink:

this is going to be fun…

Everything cleaned up and moved out of the way:

And the wall freshly painted…

My wife and I have been in our house 10 years now! and this is a project I have wanted to get to all those years…

Next step: shelf brackets will be installed. Im going to use 12-foot long shelves, and create grooves in the wood for the wheels, rather than use actual track. I’ll have questions about the best way to do that!

more to come…

thanks,

Scot

Great start!

Love the before pics…

I did the same thing then ran it out the garage window.

Eventually I used all the inside track on the outside and cut grooves in the plywood on my table saw.

I am lazy, instead of cutting grooves into plywood, I just cut strips of 1/8 inch Luan slightly narrower then the back to back dimensions of the wheels. Then I glued and tacked that to the plywood shelves I had.

Can anyone explain a good method for cutting grooves in the wood shelving that the wheels can ride in? I dont have much in the way of woodworking tools myself, but my garden RR club does have access to a well stocked shop.

I have read a lot about other methods…such as installing a wood or plastic trim strip down the middle of the shelf to keep the wheels centered, and various methods of using metal angle stock as"rails"…and those are good and workable ideas…but…I dont want to spend any more money on more supplies! :wink: I would much rather just cut grooves in the wood, since that is free.

Im using 1x6x12 boards…seven of them.

So what is the best tool to use for creating the grooves?

thanks!

Scot

Table saw, with the blade raised about 3/8"

I cut the grooves a little more than my deepest flange. I did not have a dado blade, so made a couple of passes some time.

The unit below is my first time to use a table saw.

Thanks! table saw…that will work.

im pretty sure the shop I can use will have a table saw…

update to the shelves! next post:

Update on the shelves! got some work done today…

Vertical supports installed, the top shelf determines the overall height of the whole system:

Experimenting with shelf height and distances apart:

Video:

thanks,

Scot

EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I hope the brackets are strong enough .

Sean McGillicuddy said:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-6-1-2-in-White-Twin-Track-Shelf-Bracket-FG4C0302WHT/100013156

Product Overview

The 6.5 in. White Twin Track Bracket is perfect for your heavy duty shelving needs. Each bracket fastens into your wall through a double slotted upright (sold separately). Shelving can be secured to these brackets using simple wood screws. Move the brackets and shelving up or down along the upright to best meet your storage or display needs. Brackets have an epoxy finish that will not chip or peel over time. Each bracket supports up to 500 lbs.

• Supports up to 500 lbs. per bracket
  • Neutral white color to match your home decor
  • Durable epoxy finish
  • No installation tools required

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Oh hell yea. I’ve got some for book shelves. And these ain’t pocket books either.

Good info …I’m feeling alot better now!

yeah, i agree they do look a little flimsy! in the photos…

that is perhaps because I chose the shortest possible brackets…

but the vertical supports are screwed straight into the wall studs, with deck screws, seven screws per vertical support.

Then the individual brackets are the “2-prong” versions…rated for 500 lbs per bracket…

so, should be fine!

I will add “stops” to both ends of each shelf, to prevent cars rolling off the ends…

There is little danger of cars falling off the sides…

thanks,

Scot

Earthquake proof?

I’m not concerned about earthquakes! :wink:

technically, we do get them…things shift occasionally in the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes region…

but they are overwhelmingly very small and minor, 99% of them are so small no one even feels them happening and no one (apart from geologists) even knows they happened.

In my 48 years in Western NY I am aware of two earthquakes happening that made the local news, and I have myself felt only one…and with that one, I was on the top floor of a 100-year old Kodak industrial building, I did feel a slight shaking of the building floor that lasted 2 seconds…just enough for me to think “what was that?” …but absolutely zero damage of any kind. not even an empty soda bottle falling over. more than half of area residents didn’t feel it at all. that’s the extent of earthquakes around here. so…not an issue! :wink:

Scot