Large Scale Central

Phoenix PB 9 smoked

Had a PB 9 on a test track charging the battery, was running fine for about 30 minutes then smoke. Having no schematic or component layout for the board and looking at the smoked component (see photo) I’m thinking it may be a regulator but no idea, anyone have a failure such as this with a Phoenix PB 9 board?

There was a guy a few years back had one go up in smoke. Seem to remember Phoenix finally copped to a situation that could kill them.

I think it had something to do with the input voltage or spikes killing the regulator.

It might be best to send to them, replacing the regulator alone might not fix it, and might cause more damage.

Greg

If the regulator smokes it could let the input voltage go the the other components and they could be bad also. Only Phoenix can tell you now, so send it back to them for evaluation. DO NOT POWER IT UP NOW.

True, I was also thinking that traces could be burned on the board. Some boards have interior traces you can’t see, and if they are fried, the board is toast.

Thanks for the info, it will be on its way back to Phoenix tomorrow, I sent them a pic of the unit with the failed component pointed out, they said it was a transistor not a regulator. The unit had been installed for about 6 months with no problems so I’m at a loss for the cause.

Read down the post from Thomas Prevost…

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/17317/aristo-mallet-questions

There was a design flaw in the board that burned it… since fixed, but probably your problem… these things can sit on shelves at a dealers for years…

Greg

Greg, If you remember I smoked a brand new Phoenix in my Custom Nothern at the FairPlex layout when we where out there a few years ago. Just flying down the main line and pop and Smoke. They replaced that one, but they have repaired other ones for me !

Rex