Large Scale Central

Did somebody mention Gravity?

Not just model railroaders dream big …

Piece O’ cake, eh?

Safety regs are for the weak … Bring Grandma in her Sunday Finest!

Would you rather walk back down?

Ah for the Good old Days.

Damn!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

NICE !

John thanks for posting that. That is incredible.

Have to mention in this thread that the CVRR used gravity and mules to pull their trains across the Susquehana river . When they needed more than mules Utility was built by Seth Wilmarth but not designed by him.

John:

Just looked at these pictures after cocktails and dinner, thanks! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Here are a few more pictures and a bunch of history - Early Views of Mt. Lowe Railway. There are also a bunch on Google Images.

A number of the passengers have a bit of a OMG expression.

Thanks again for posting.

The pic in my Avatar is from a postcard from the Mt Lowe RR , it’s above where I am, I can see the ruins of the incline from my place.

Vic Smith said:
The pic in my Avatar is from a postcard from the Mt Lowe RR , it’s above where I am, I can see the ruins of the incline from my place.

So this is where you realized the “micro” concept could be a reality. This is a VIC worthy 1:1 railroad

Awesome! Great pics, especially of the cable incline.

That hotel is pretty unusual. It looks like they just built a new structure directly over an existing structure.

Devon Sinsley said:

Vic Smith said:

So this is where you realized the “micro” concept could be a reality. This is a VIC worthy 1:1 railroad

I’ve ridden the original ROW, it’s now a fire road, up to the tavern location. But the inspiration for my big pizza was Lane Stewarts Impire & Junction RR on display at the original Caboose Hobbies

Beautiful gathering of pics, thanks John!

Ray Dunakin said:

That hotel is pretty unusual. It looks like they just built a new structure directly over an existing structure.

I thought that too, but on the link , Mark provided, I learned they built the second unit UNDER the other, the roofline follows angled braces!

John

John Caughey said:

Ray Dunakin said:

I thought that too, but on the link , Mark provided, I learned they built the second unit UNDER the other, the roofline follows angled braces!

John

Cool, thanks.

Thats interesting. I would have figured as you guys did that they built over. Very interesting the added a basement later, lol

Space was at a minimum up there. The cornfuzing part is the Shingled roof implies the first build…

I bet they pre-fabbed the upper roof and slid it in place.

Edit to add pic and a p.

John

Yes the lower structure was an added ballroom. There is nothing there in Rubio Canyon today, not even footings, between the wildfires and flooding in the canyon over the last 70 years it’s all been swept away

Part 2. Mt Tamalpais Gravity

http://www.funimag.com/photoblog/index.php/articles/us-mount-tamalpais-muir-woods-railway/#Tam01

Scroll to bottom and watch last video …

The Mount Tamalpais RR was open from 1896 - 1930

Ride a train up, spend time in the Tavern drinking some courage for the glide back down…

I rode my bicycle up to the top of Mount Tam, in 1984, when I was capable of such things. Started at Pier 39 in San Francisco (Mcclusky was there for a port visit), rode across the Golden Gate, up to Mt Tam, free fall back down, then took the ferry from Tiburon back to Fisherman’s Wharf. What a ride!

The last vid on the link I posted, started with getting on the ferry, then the train and of course the ride back down.

Didja notice a Tavern justified both rides…?

John

? How did they get that shay up to the end of track?