Large Scale Central

Wanted, Accucraft SP #8/9 live steam wanted

Looking for one of the Accucraft SP narrow gauge 4-6-0’s that they offered a couple of years ago. Also would consider one of the 4-4-0’s as well since the C&C ran them in the early years, or a geared engine. If you have a used one that needs a new home, Please let me know. Mike

Your confusing me. I thought you wanted a geared Regner?

Shawn, most the engines near the top of my wish list need bigger radius curves. The Regner is a comprimise that I wont be satisfied with long term as they are a model of nothing in particular. Nice models, dont get me wrong. But maybe its time to rework my line to handle bigger engines that I desire to run. With my dogs tearing up things constantly, they think switch lanterns and telephone poles are chew toys, its time to raise the railway up and go around my fenced yard. I am considering a long point to point operation and the final years of the SPNG would work well. I can put a shelf around my 6’ tall wood fence, then plant hedges and other greenery below to grow up and hide the shelf part in a few years. I have small greenhouse I can use as a terminus at one end to keep rolling stock in, that way I do not have to carry it in every time, just the steam engine. I believe the #9 handled the final train on the SPNG, so setting the railway in the final year of operation would be interesting. I enjoy operation, having come from a huge club in HO scale that was primarly based on operation. Cannot really do this on my exhisting line due to being ground level and to small for much in the way of sidings/industires to switch. I turn 44 this year, its time to build up higher so I can enjoy the steam aspect easier in the coming years. Most of our rolling stock is either USA narrow gauge or USA Std gauge. The short string of LGB field railway stuff looks good behind a couple of my other engines or even the Ruby#5. I like the Jones ten wheeler, but it is just a passenger engine and ment for speed. The SPNG ten wheeler can haul my fav style train, mixed. Next problem is finding one, then seeing how much more $$ I am going to need above and beyond what the Merlin is worth. For now, I will enjoy what I have and wait for what I am looking for to turn up. Mikie

I do like the vintage and looks of the casey Jones engine! It surely would have pulled mixed trains on branch lines through the thirties with some updates! I have photos of nearly identical kook ingredients engines with a couple of box cars, a combine and a coach working here in maine in the teens!

Both are nice engines, good choices!

Now the hard part, finding someone willing to sell thier SPNG ten wheeler! Jay says they are very very hard to come by. So, not many must have been made. Gives me time to save up the additional money I will need to buy it. If my patience lasts long enough! Mike

I will also add on the 4-4-0 that Accucraft has done in live steam, the Carson and Ci olorado ran them in the early years before the line was sold to the SP. I really like that engine in the DRGW Col Boone or the NCNG Grasse River colorful paint schemes. The Merlin is still available if interested.