Large Scale Central

New user questions

Hi - new user here with a couple of questions …

• Are ‘user names’ - ‘real names’ - and ‘screen names’ - all the same thing on this site? - I couldn’t see any provision for selecting a ‘screen name’.

• Do the individual posts in a thread have an identifying number - other than the date and time of posting?

• Are ‘Threads’ and ‘Articles’ the same thing?

EDIT - and one more thing - I entered a signature on my profile page - but I had to retype it below to get it to show in my post - is that normal?

Many thanks …

Regards …

John

Welcome John,

As far as I know we operate under our own names. I suppose there are some who use aliases, but for the most part the social gathering aspect tends to erase them. I regret using a nickname elsewhere …

Time and date are your best bet as number of entries per page may be subject to personal preferences.

I think of our interactive pages as threads, and Articles are more of an informational aspect. Of course everything is subject to the whims of us all and I have no control … ie: We do not own our threads and we can’t control the content. Hopefully derails wait until page 3 …

I am not an elder here, they mostly tolerate me.

Maybe you missed a save on your siggy?

Welcome Aboard,

John

Yes, the signature needs to be saved in an odd place. I edit my signature and then when it doesn’t show up I snoop around my profile page till I find the other place.

Articles are just that, articles. They aren’t forum posts with the banter and derailing that happens in the forum. Unfortunately, every article that I went to read, was missing all of its pictures.

In my address bar there is a post ID number, although I have never paid much attention to it. So I guess there is a number to the post, for what good it does.

All are the same on LSC. Real names are the rule here, with a couple of notable exceptions are here from the beginning.

As far as I know, the thread has a unique number, but not the individual posts.

I would have to ask where the signature is stored (I am assuming a graphic is involved)? For the most part, I store all my permanent photos (like a signature) on an outside server and link to it. I don’t rely on any of the forums I frequent to hold long term photos. For short term stuff I do use the freight sheds here.

Welcome John !

John,

After fixing my signature, here is where and how. At the very top of the page there is a link to ‘Settings’. In Settings is a link to ‘Forum Signature’, this is where the signature is stored. You can enter text or graphics or both. If using graphics I suggest keeping it fairly small.

Everyone gets a FREE Freight Shed file storage area. It works best to store your signature graphic files in there. In the Forum Signature dialog area there are buttons for inserting images. The process to insert the image is to upload your graphics to your Freight Shed. Once there, open the picture and right click on the picture to get a dialog box. In the dialog box, pick ‘Copy Image Address’. Back in the Forum Signature dialog, click the ‘Insert Image’ button, paste the image address in the ‘Source’ box. You can resize the image in this dialog box on the bottom.

Hope this helps

Bob C.

Hi guys! - many thanks for the welcome and helpful suggestions.

I realise I can just jump right in and all will become apparent in time - but a few early pointers can be really useful when starting with a new forum format - thanks again!

Ah-oh! - my sig. appeared in the wrong place … oh well … (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)