Large Scale Central

Who models CN here?

I started building a couple more engines. I thought it would also be cool to have a CN cowl unit. I was surprised at the number of engines that CN has that aren’t cowl units. I expected to see higher numbers of them. I always see them in videos?

The first CN cowl units were the HR616 built by Bombardier.

The Draper Taper was its distinctive feature.

The last of the CN cowl units were Dash 8s built by GE in the 80s.

CN DASH 8 Cowl Unit

As they were a very unique diesel style, I doubt we will ever see a large scale model unless it is 3D printed.

We love CN here in Montana and have several CN cars and a roadrailer in our kids G scale program. I only wish funds would allow for a CN locomotive.
Here are a couple videos. One is a CP and BC freight, if that’s permissible.
Ken

https://youtu.be/ICgyXCjo2rw
https://youtu.be/MV1l9mpSq3o

Paul Norton said:

The first CN cowl units were the HR616 built by Bombardier.

The Draper Taper was its distinctive feature.

The last of the CN cowl units were Dash 8s built by GE in the 80s.

CN DASH 8 Cowl Unit

As they were a very unique diesel style, I doubt we will ever see a large scale model unless it is 3D printed.

I didn’t know that GE made them too. I have to go search again!

Ken, I do have the Aristo CN roadrailers. They are great. There was a time when they were giving them away and I passed!

I have an Aristo Dash 9 in CN. The grand son likes it best. I thought instead of just plopping another one on the rails I would make something unique.

Hey you tricked me!

That’s a SD60F

I thought the reason that cowl units, like the EMD E and F units, fell out of popularity, was because they had such poor reward visibility. So I am a bit perplexed as to why they continued to be built.

I can only guess at this. I would say it has to do with the severe conditions way up north? Probably why they attempted that fix of the angled panel?

I need to read up on this more to understand. I’m intrigued by the custom look of their units from other (US) RRs. Also for the Santa Fe.

Yea, Santa Fe and Amtrak also had the cowl units. I prefer the look of them over the standard narrow long hood diesels. Maybe because they look a bit like an evolutionary descendant of the F units, or maybe just because they are not the run of the mill, seen everywhere, type of powered boxcar, um, ah, I mean, diesel.

I’m a CN man. I love the uniqueness of a lot of the equipment, but it is a pain having to modify everything.

The cowl units look cool, but are hated. The carbodies are dark oily messes. They are also desktop units. The majority prefer control stands.

I have a lot of projects on the go. Don’t know when I’ll finish them.

CN2522-Dash9 Canadian wide cab.

CN5536-SD60f

Rolling Stock

Shane

Here is some of our CN equipment except the locomotive which is gone now.

Here are photos of some of our equipment.

wow, Shane, that’s some great work.

Thanks Joe,

If you’re interesting in building an SD60f, I’m willing to share my research and progress with you. With some small modifications, you could also build one of the SD50f’s which were retired in 2009.

I’m using Aristocraft SD45’s for the base. I plan on making 4, so I’m doing my best to draw up plans that will make the next 3 easier. The SD45 has to be lengthened, so it’s just the electrical, trucks, fuel tank and end steps that are needed.

Shane

Well I’m making a new model right now too. I thought I would try several, as I always stall on each one and it takes me years!

http://largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/b6/15/02/211a3_6a6a.JPG?c=12f7

I would be honored to get any help though!

I had a perfect spare SD45 for parts that I sold. I do have a mint one here still. I’ll probably look for another.

I’m slow too. I won’t tell you when I started my Dash 9 project which is still incomplete. Maybe sharing my progress on something would force me to keep at it.

Do you want me to start a thread that follows the build, or do you just want me to send you my research?

I could be greedy and say just send it to me. If you wanted to post, then that would be great also.

jwpcfv (at) msn.com

thank you

Joe,

I’m going to send you all of my full size measurements, data sheet, and G scale drawings that I currently have completed. I’ll then start a thread showing how I’m creating this unit, and then you can decide what works best for you.

My measurements are not complete, but I think there is enough to make a fairly accurate plan. If you want any detail photos, let me know and I can supply them.

Shane

Thank you Shane! That makes all the difference getting started.

I do have this unit!

Along with some CN freight cars!

Ken(Whoever you are) It would be rather nice to know your full name, and where you are located. This is a friendly, trusting group, of railroad modellers and operators, and knowing where in general you live can influence and improve communications. Knowing your full name is only fair, and adds to the friendly atmosphere of the forum. It also helps to maintain good email etiquette.

I’m a Canadian, and have lots of contacts who can willingly answer many questions about Canadian National motive power. Who knows, Ken, you may be living quite close by…if you could PLEASE show your location…maybe you are even close to others on this forum.

Please feel welcome here; it is a rather good web page, with a great number of informative people who willingly share, and are VERY trustworthy.

Fred Mills, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.