Large Scale Central

Looking for Hobbit type buildings

Looking for some buildings that look like they would fit into the “middle earth” theme from Tolkien’s The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings. Espicaly Hobbit type houses and buildings like a Pub ect. They can be wood/resin or whatever. I cannot find anything localy, even bird houses that I could repurpose. I have a couple of Pola and an Aristo Craft station/platorm that will need new homes one suitable replacements are located. Thanks Mike

An interesting concept Mike. Here are a few pics I found.

As everyone can see there is a disparity as to what constitutes a “Hobbit” house. There are several resin models avaialbe but all are in 25mm for war-game and role-play use.

I found this 1/12th dollhouse but it is a one of kind and way to big.

I found a bunch of garden decorations that are in a variety of styles but most are too small. I think you should look for Aquarium or garden fairy houses that could be altered to work.

You may have to resort to making them yourself. Here is an idea made from gords.

If you want the medieval look you could use playmobil structures from their knights and European sets. These are roughly 1/24th scale and have the advantage of being able to add them together into larger buildings.

…and that is Boomer’s $.02

I am sure you got what you paid for…if not feel free to ask BD for a refund. :slight_smile:

Boomer K. said:

I think I’m going nuts…I’m seeing Challenge builds everywhere I look!

I think you will need to build your own Mike keeping in mind that the main characteristics of a hobbit house in the shire is a round door, a lush front garden, and most of the house being built into the hillside.

John P you stole my thought when I saw that photo you reposted. That would be a perfect house to build for the challenge.

I do like the Medieval look, never thought of Playmobile buildings. I will have to check at the shop I get my G scale from, he has the left over stock from the old Watts Train shop. Will the plastic on those hold up outdoors? Mike

You could paint a rock. I’ve actually seen similar for sale.

Hobit dwelling needs to be built into a natural element …rock face,mound/hill …just my opinion though

I second Rooster

https://www.etsy.com/listing/279366446/the-brick-miniature-fairy-house?ref=related-4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miniature-Dollhouse-FAIRY-GARDEN-Hobbit-House-NEW-/251928372188?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

https://www.etsy.com/listing/287362543/fairy-garden-house-miniature-house?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-home_and_living-outdoor_and_garden-garden_decoration&utm_custom1=2d3ec66a-c504-4982-90ee-8fc489c3fcc1&gclid=CjwKEAiAwfzDBRCRmJe7z_7h8yQSJAC4corOkgi9QgzX9YV9Kr-k0utLq2NmsX_Yw4CDzKN3_gjfZhoCGcLw_wcB

Mike

Years ago I had several of the Playmobil buildings to use as a town under the Christmas tree, as I recall they are made from the same heavy plastic as the LGB/Pola kits. I never left them outside but they are very sturdy and would most likely handle the elements very well. They do come with stickers for the signs etc, which will probably not be very durable.

I look forward to seeing pics of this project as you get it together.

Thanks Boomer! My secondary thought is to use what I originaly designed the railway to model, the riverfront community from Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas, just set in the summer time. Bird houses with that rustic river front look are much easier to find in my area. And my limited building skills can handle making some boat docks to fit in the my little river on my railway. And peat can be loaded in the town of Riverbottom, where the hooligan’s band that won the contest in the movie hailed from. The trick to that one is finding something close to Doc Bullfrog’s Riverside Rest resturant and hotel. I have some ideas for that as well. Mike

Mike

I recommend this in G scale

That is neat Boomer! Way beyond my modeling ablities, but way cool! Mike