Large Scale Central

Silverton City Hall

Does anyone have a Silverton City Hall building they are ready to part with? They seem to be as rare as hens teeth. I’d like one for my layout as I model some of the Silverton area theme. Thanks.

Uh, oh…I don’t know, Rich, if you submitted this as your 2017 Challenge build, I personally would vote for a special exemption to the entry deadline rules for sure! Looks ready-made for Taylor stone if you ask me!

edit: Dang, I missed a chance to say “tailor-made for Taylor stones.” !

Well, I do have a bell. Nothing like starting at the top and working your way down. I may yet have to build one as I doubt there are any out there that anybody will part with. It was a great kit. I just missed it.

Who made the kit, Rich?

Columbine Hobbies a few years ago. I think sold by G depot Hobbies. I’m looking for the general dimensions of the original building without having to go measure it next summer. Or if anyone happens to have one, if they could post the scale size that would be a great help. I think Matt Doti has the only one I’m aware of out here in the west. What we go through to build our railroads!

Rich, maybe call Bil MacDougall…he’s the building inspector down there in Silverton: 970-387-5522 ext 15. Maybe he could help you. If nothing else I’ll bet he could give you the exact width of that white garage-style door and you could figure the rest of the dimensions from there, adapt them to whatever scale you choose.

Thanks John. I’ll look him up this summer. We’re up there frequently. Perhaps I might be able to purchase a set of the exterior elevations after it was rebuilt. Or as you suggest, get a few standard measurements in order to scale the structure.

Thanks John. I’ll look him up this summer. We’re up there frequently. Perhaps I might be able to purchase a set of the exterior elevations after it was rebuilt. Or as you suggest, get a few standard measurements in order to scale the structure.

Have you been to the new Caboose Hobbies yet?

Double posted again!

Parking lot slots usually run about nine feet wide, by code.

So, just looking at it, I’d say those window sashes on both floors are 5 feet high, which would make each window 10 feet high. That would also make the door 10 feet high, which was a common height for a grand entrance, back in the day. The small windows (dormers?) over the entrance door and the windows on the second floor can be extrapolated.

Now, having those measurements, it should be easy peasy to get something close, something with the flavor of the model, which will pass the 5 ft rule.

Let us know how it goes.

My ear was ringing.

Here is what it looks like:

When I first got it:

After adding a clock decal two summers ago:

And my addition to the building last summer. Should have swept away the rain dirt splashing though:

Best of luck in your search. It took me at least 7 years to find one. Although I think it was longer now that I think back.

But as you can see, the model is nowhere close to the real city hall. More of a a “close” approximation.

Super neat Matt. I’m envious! Going to start to frame one up next month. From my memory and Steve’s suggestions, I think I can get close without waiting until next summer. I need to reduce the depth some in order for it to fit on my elevated layout. Just found some perfect siding and I already have the windows. The door I can make. Columns shouldn’t be too tough. I’ll keep all posted. Should be fun.