Large Scale Central

Accucraft Alert!!!

For those of you with Accucraft live-steamers with axle pumps -

Last Thursday the skies cleared for the first time in a couple of weeks, so, after checking out all round, I took my Accucraft Royal Hudson, build #41, for its first stem up this year.

Doing all the things you do to get fired up, I started pumping water into the boiler via the tender pump. It came straight out of the bottom of the loco. Looking, I could see that the banjo connector was hanging clear of the pump body, and turning it over confirmed my fears. There was a stub of threaded bolt in the pump body, and a five minute hands-and-kneesing in the muddy ground found me the sheared-off bolt head.

The bolt head showed clear signs of crystallisation, as did the remains of the bolt itself when we got it home to a small screw extractor. This is not the first time this has happened - the last episode was about five years back, and Cliff over at AC sent me a couple of replacements. I got an instant response from Robert S, Cliff’s successor in Union City [Thanks, Robert], but no luck. He says that he is making up a large spares order with Mr Cheng.

The other bolt, which I then removed to check, was on the point of letting go, too.

The material is not brass as we know it, Jim, but some kind of poor substitute that I’m going to call ‘brinc’. Luckily I have good friend for whom fettling a new one is a breeze.

You guys out the with an Accucraft loco with an axle pump - check it now!

tac

PS - I’d be grateful if one of you on the other forum could post it there for me - There are a lot Accucraft owners over there, I recall.

Update!

Accucraft UK have come through with flying colours!!!

I sent Graham Langer the pics on Sunday night.

On Monday morning he emole me, telling me that he was putting TWO connecting bolts in the mail.

They’ve just arrived now.

THAT, Gentlemen, is Service.

Thank you, Accucraft UK

tac

OVGRS

POCRR

Fenland Light Railway

16mm Accociation

G1MRA

7/8th Society

Royal Automobile Club

Excellent service, bravo! If only every company took care of customer issues in such a timely manner. Mike

Agreed, I’ve never had anything but great customer service from Accucraft USA. I love their track too. There may be a few inconvenient issues like tac’s that pop up once and a while, but I think that just a residue of them trying very hard to make a quality loco at a very affordable price. As opposed to and Aster or Roundhouse that certainly cost more per lineal inch. If they ever do another EBT prototype my money will be down on it.

Glad you are on your way to having thing back to normal tac!

Track? What track? We don’t see AC track hereabouts, us.

Anyhow, all set to go this morning and give it a run and the heavens opened…ah well, I could spend some quality time cleaning wheels and generally tightening stuff on my other steamers, just in case that darn sun ever shines. The Garratt, BTW, has TWENTY of the little blighters to buff up!

I’ll pass on your regards to the Accucraft UK team when we meet up in April at the big show. This year will be different, with a 15" gauge Sandy River loco to drive courtesy of Roundhouse!

Best to all

tac, ig, ken the GFT and the Rubber Onion Boys

tac, Here is a link to what I get:

https://www.accucraftestore.com/product-page/4ac9fc78-3e0e-321a-1755-6afb9c394fe2

Looks like it may technically be AML. But for me, it it’s size and shape match exactly my prototype (the EBT) and it’s very robust. The code 250 aluminum is just right for 85lb rail. I normally order a box a tie strips and a package of rail, then assemble my self. It’s held up very nicely on my layout.

Hope the sun comes back out for you soon!

Yeah, nice track, and fifteen years ago, when I was building MY track, it may have been an option, IF I lived in the USA or Canada.

Being a member of the G1MRA, I went for Tenmille track, since the maker, Terry Hines, lives about an hour from me…

tac