Large Scale Central

Has this been attempted before?

So this topic may have been around before, and if I’m beating a dead horse here I do apologize, but with winter setting in my mind is running amuck with modeling ideas, so here goes. Has anyone attempted to kitbash Aristo’s Mallet into a narrow gauge ‘what if’ Logging mallet? I have been tempted to tackle a mallet for a few years now, and the Bachmann one is nice, but at the prices they bring, it wouldn’t be much more to get an aristo mallet, then have a tender to also bash. Thinking possible new boiler and domes, with an upscaled cab maybe from bashed 10 wheeler, larger air pumps, plumbing, headlight etc…

Any thoughts on this? Also any pictures of a bashed mallet, either standard or narrow gauge, please feel free to share, my addiction is best fed with more ideas :wink:

I have thought of it several times. The original cost of the loco has put me off. Basically all you would use would be the 2 driving mechanisms. In my scale I model, (1:20.3) It would have to be re-boilered and re-cabbed to make it look good.

I do have 2 Bachmann 2-8-0 outside framed locos that I have thought about building a huge logging mallet with.

Are you thinking of taking the 1:29 Standard Gauge Mallet and turning it into a 1:20.3 Narrow Gauge Mallet? Back when they were first coming out, I think Kevin did some investigation and it got squashed by the drive wheel diameter. Mr. Strong may chime in. That may have been a Mikado, instead of a Mallet.

John- that would make for one awesome mallet, I think you should do it :wink:

Ric- that’s kind of what I’m looking at. the price is pretty high, so would definitely have to wait on a deal, but the challenge sounds to good to pass up hahaha the drivers would be pretty big. I haven’t yet figured out scale height of drivers if upscaled, but probably a bit bigger than those of narrow gauge typically. Thought of also the possibility of shortening the blocks from 4 to 3 axle, but not sure it would be worth that.

Well the real USRA 2-8-8-2 had 57" drivers. If Aristo scaled them correctly they should be 1.96" in 1:29 making them 40" drivers in 1:20.3. That would match the driver diameter of the K-27, so I would say you can get away with that. The biggest thing I think would be an issue is that they are 8-wheel motors. In my opinion, that is too many for a NG logging mallet.

As far as the Bachmann Connie, I always thought it would make a great 0-8-0T conversion.

Chris

the 8 wheel blocks is definitely where the what if comes in, but would make for a long beast.

as for the connie, I would like to do a similar conversion, but as a 2-8-2T for logging service, but was unable to find a drive assembly, and a complete loco was just to costly. I do still want to do something along these lines someday if I can get the loco reasonable

Aaron Loyet said:

would make for a long beast.

I’m all in even if it is steam!

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Built, painted and weathered by my good friend Mike Williams. I supplied the LGB Mike.

I built an additional auxiliary tender for it using the Mikes original tender. I use that tender behind any of my other locos as well. It contains the Airwire and batteries.

If someone wants to imbed this, here she is in action on my RR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpO8JRuP1o

that rig looks awesome John! Gives me more ideas

That is really nice. Not only the loco but your rolling stock is amazing.

The whole train is gorgeous. I really love your scratchbuilt rolling stock.