Large Scale Central

Using Bluetooth to provide tactile feedback in model rr control.

Craig Townsend found this http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/25866 while engaged in a discussion on another thread.

While scrolling through the comments, I found this, a way to provide tactile feed back while using Bluetooth to control your locomotive

The photo above is specific for steam, but can easily be modified for diseasal. If/when perfected, this is a game changer, and will put every other method of control out of bidness.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks Steve for posting a new thread, but I want to clarify some confusion and explain (or I will after the 3rd time trying use the stupid tablet to type)

1st off. The picture you show is from Rene Gourley, a Proto87 modeler. That picture on the MRH forum comes from his blog post on the Knob Killer" Part I, and Part II. His ideas are from a discussion with Trevor Marshal, a S scale modeler and Mike Courgill’s blog.

From what I understand about Rene’s post is that he was thinking about using DCC to control his trains. One (or more) manufacturers already have an existing app that allows your phone to be used as a throttle (I think Lenz?). Now this is straight DCC, through the rails, etc.

2nd. The Original post on MRH was discussing creating a realistic handheld diesel control stand that also uses regular DCC, through the rails, etc. This is still in the development stage, but from the thread, it sounds like the handheld control stand will communicate with the DCC/computer interfaces (JMRI) that already exist. This has moved from the concept stage to prototype model in less than a year. I don’t know when it would be available or if it would even be useful for large scale. This also uses open source software (again I think Raspbery Pi?) to communicate between the throttle and the base station/computer (JMRI). This was designed to be used in conjunction with a specific line of DCC decoders that apparently allow for more realistic operation. If you want the nitty gritty details, just read the thread. Could it be used with battery power (dead rail), maybe but I have no idea. They are looking for beta testers, so maybe one of the DCC guru’s (Greg) could see if he could test it out with large scale DCC?

1. That said, there is a current thread on MRH that discusses true bluetooth operation with an O scale locomotive. That thread is here. This is bluetooth without DCC, nor without power to the rails (aka dead rail).

Now that I’ve given you a bunch of links, start wondering down the rabbit hole. If you have lots of time to kill, read Trevor’s, Mike’s and Rene’s blogs. They both have links to some even more well written blogs.

This post has been edited: Rooster has been shipped to the Eastern Front for tactical feedback

I read some of the blogs.

First there is a debate on one handed vs. two handed.

I would think that if my goal was controls like a real loco, two handed is fine, although more for diesels than steam. Having something this complex really does not lend itself to a small hand held throttle it seems to me. Something more like the raildriver makes sense.

If I wanted a portable unit, with levers, the size alone seems to indicate two handed operation, one to hold the throttle, and the other to operate the levers, but still you have the issue that you cannot do the brake and throttle at the same time.

Now, to the actual issue of control, a small microprocessor could translate the inputs to DCC commands, and probably just “dumb” R/C. I really cannot see using something like this on just a generic R/C system, but a system that can “overlay” throttle and brake, and the only systems I have seen do this are DCC or DCC-like.

Maybe the best idea to get the functionality would be an Android app, that talks wi-fi to JMRI and that app can read inputs from the physical throttle via USB. This would take the least hardware development, almost all software except for the mechanical packaging for the throttle and the most generic USB interfaces like a game controller uses.

Lots of options here, really based on the objective.

Greg

Greg,

When you said “I read some of the blogs” did you mean present tense, as in “I just read the blog” or did you mean past tense as in " In the past I have read these blogs, and will continue to read them in the present". Just curious, as our wonderful english language allows for both in the written content. :slight_smile:

Interesting discussion to say the least.

Based on the thread, I went and researched and read some of the blogs where these discussions were. They jumped around a bit, and kind of went off into some different directions.

Interesting, I like the ideas of the controls “feeling real”, but using a handheld that requires both hands to do anything does not appeal to me. So the levers look cool, and the idea seems neat, but having to grab the box with one hand to counter the force by holding the lever with the other hand does not seem right.

Now, you could make the argument that you could hold the box with one hand and push the lever with your thumb, but that would not only be awkward, but now you are going away from the “real feel” of a real setup in the cab of a loco.

That led me to think that something like the Raildriver console would be great, but since I am outdoors, I like to walk with the train, or even if I moved a bit, then I’d have to lug the big console around, and that would not be convenient.

Also, this simulation of real controls might be close for a diesel, but nowhere near a real steam loco, unless you have a big pedestal.

After thinking it all through, a smaller, wireless throttle with slider or thumbwheel where I can do most of the running without staring at the throttle and do it one-handed is where my “sweet spot” is.

Greg