Large Scale Central

ESU mobile decoder

Can I program an ESU decoder using a Digitrax DCS 200 system?

What is meant by programming??

Changing CV values, or loading a sound project??

All DCC systems can modify CV’s. Sound programming is usually done by the manufacturers special equipment , and/or by a program that can connect to a system via a USB or serial bus.

LGB and MRC sounds for are not programabble as in reloading to a different engine type, Phoeniz, Zimo, ESU are and there are others.

Dan Pierce said:

What is meant by programming??

Changing CV values, or loading a sound project??

All DCC systems can modify CV’s. Sound programming is usually done by the manufacturers special equipment , and/or by a program that can connect to a system via a USB or serial bus.

LGB and MRC sounds for are not programabble as in reloading to a different engine type, Phoeniz, Zimo, ESU are and there are others.

Dan I’m confused does your post mean yes or no to his ?

I mainly would want to change CV values. The individual who posted the video of the new LGB motor car on MLS, stated it has an ESU decoder.

Jim,

Changing the CVs on the ESU decoder should be the same as any other – DCC is a protocol rather than a generic term. CVs may be different than whatever you’re used to but changing the desired CV should work the same. I’ve programmed Digitrax, Soundtraxx, Wowsound, and ESU decoders on my own Digitrax system with no issues.

Thanks Robbie, the reason I asked was because when I went to change the CV’s on my Climax with a Soundtrax decoder, I had to buy their programming booster. So I wasn’t sure what may be required for the ESU.

Jim,

The programming booster is required as during DCC programming the command station “pulses” a signal to the decoder to program it rather than leaving power on 100%. With sound units, you typically need one amp of power as opposed to the minute levels required by other decoders. The programming booster takes the DCC signal and injects it into a one amp current to program sound decoders.

Some (ESU, for example) don’t need the booster OR you can program without the booster “on the main” – i.e., whatever’s on the main will be programmed. In your case with the booster you should be 100% good to go for anything you want to program.

Richard, I asked what the user meant by programming as there are different ways to ‘program’ a sound decoder.

Even the Phoenix sound only decoder has sound loads to be programmed and also variables for configuring the sound once it is loaded.

With DCC decoders, there is a sound load (program) plus configuration variables to program such as engine number (1 to 10299) and function keys for light/sound/servo assignments, and even chuff settings, smoke, bell/whistle input sensors).

Only certain decoders need a programming booster for cv programming…

Greg

And only certain systems need a booster. Both of my Zimo systems (MX1 and MX10) can change CV values directly (0 to 999), and in the future the MX10 can load sound files from a USB stick).

I believe Massoth is the same.