Large Scale Central

Steel Tube

Not train related, but many of us have a scrap bin. I’m looking for a piece of steel tube, 1 7/8" OD, and around 24" long, give or take an inch. I can get one at the local steel place for about $25, but maybe someone here has a piece in their scrap bin?

Bob

Aristocraft rail comes in tubes that are 1 3/4" in diameter. I have loads.

Stan

Depending on the ‘exact’ requirements, you may be able to use 1-1/2" pipe, 1.900 diameter. Material dependent, PVC would be the lightest. A bit of info on the usage intent might help as well.

Bob C.

I’m rebuilding a drill press, and need a steel tube for the upright, so diameter is critical, length has some wiggle room.

Bob,

Based on your description, I would then recommend looking at Ryerson as a supplier and look at DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing. It will not be cheap, but the diameter and wall will be very consistent. I would also not recommend a thin wall tubing for this purpose, rigidity should be a high priority for a drill press.

Bob C.

Maybe a motorcycle fork tube from a wrecked cycle would work ?

Bill

Bob “IA3R#7” Cope said:

Bob,

Based on your description, I would then recommend looking at Ryerson as a supplier and look at DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing. It will not be cheap, but the diameter and wall will be very consistent. I would also not recommend a thin wall tubing for this purpose, rigidity should be a high priority for a drill press.

Bob C.

Yep, like I posted opening this thread. I can get two feet of 1 7/8 OD, 3/16" wall DOM locally for a bit over $25. Just hoping someone had a hunk in their scrap bin.

If there are any hard core 4 wheel drive shops in the area, they might be an alternative for a short scrap. Heavy wall DOM is a staple of the off road crowd for non-factory mods. If I think of any other possibilities I will PM ya.

Bob C.

$25 sounds like a fine deal!

Might be further ahead to just buy a new bench top drill press at the second hand tool store(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Bob,

You didn’t mention the brand of your drill press. Parts may be available to the exact size you want. Sometimes it takes more effort to rig something that is not an exact match. Time is money…even if you have a lot of time.