Large Scale Central

San Francisco, CA.

Hi. !

This is another diorama.

The original idea was to reproduce a street corner in San Francisco. But, due to size of the trolley, the size of the diorama it was too big.
So, i decide to do some more standard. I try to do something between Castro and Alamo.
Well, this is the result…

Hope you like it.

Regards

Xavier

“…!”

(that means, I’m awed into speechlessness)

You are one impressive modeler. In other words, WOW!

Beautiful, Xavier!

What a clever diorama, although it ain’t really a diorama, I guess. Anyway, great modeling, Xavier.

OK I have a couple of questions. What do you do with all of these dioramas? Once completed and photographed what becomes of their fate? Who long does it take for you to make one of these from start to finish?

Just another example of your excellent work.

Beautiful diorama Xavier, it could pass for real. Frisco is a dirty word here in the San Francisco bay Area(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thank you very much guys for your kind words.
Dan, is fixed now.

Devon Sinsley said:

OK I have a couple of questions. What do you do with all of these dioramas? Once completed and photographed what becomes of their fate? Who long does it take for you to make one of these from start to finish?

Just another example of your excellent work.

Thanks Devon.

Well, some of these dioramas I keep in my workshop. Others are for a friends and others are orders.

About how many time… is quite difficult to know. If I work in the diorama 8 hours per day in 4 or 5 days is ended. Else… until is finished.

This diorama San Francisco, CA. From start to finish 6 days working between 6 and 8 hours per day. The other one “WWI Western Front. Diorama 1/32” you can see in other thread, is not finished yet, and I was starting 7 weeks ago.

Regards

Dan DeVoto said:

Beautiful diorama Xavier, it could pass for real. Frisco is a dirty word here in the San Francisco bay Area(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Would you prefer Googleopolis ? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

[This is a repeat of my reply to Xavier, from another site. Since Xavier posted on both, I thought his work needed comment here as well.]

Xavier,

This is such an amazing diorama, what is the story behind it? Where will it be shown, and in what context?

Cliff

PS,. if you worked it for a night scene, with all those lighting opportunities, wow. But don’t get me wrong, just the daylight setting is awesome.

Vic Smith said:

Vic, ya kill me, haha!!!

Very nice. Can you please post larger pictures? I’d love to see more detail plus any shots you have during construction.

I am with Cliff. I would love to see what you could come up with lighting and a night scene.

But Cliff raises another question for me. Is this capturing a specific moment in time? What I mean by this is this meant, in your mind, to be a snapshot or a stopped moment in time. I see what you do more as 3D artistry, a sculpture, than I do modeling. That’s a compliment. Modeling to me captures a feel, and era, a living scene and is a means to an end. Ray Dunkin is one of my favorite modelers on here and his work is as brilliant as yours. But to me he is modeling, he is depicting a real scene alive in time. But your dioramas to me represent a captured moment. Both concepts are magnificent and merit praise, one not being better than another. I hope what I am saying makes sense.

Even if it doesn’t I really appreciate what you do and would like to understand more about what drives the artist, because that is what you are my friend.

Again, thank you very much gentlemens, for your kind comments.

About to do a light scene, now is very difficult, 'cause the entire construction are not ready for this purpose. I will try to do some pictures with a sort of night scene.

And about the idea of this diorama is just that, a diorama. Due to space restrictions are quite impossible to reprodce a segment of an actually street of San Francisco. So, I try to show 3 kinds of many differents styles of constructions we can found in Castro and/or Alamo …

Then green house are the “Hippie House”…

The house in the middle are the “49ers fan house (niners)”, as you can see in the windows.

In the blue house there are someone checking the weather…

In the other hand, due to restrictions using materials ( This is for a company who wants to edit this diorama ) I can’t use “anything” to put in the scene. . They have a list of materials, and I must to work with these materials. Also, I can’t show pictures from the construction process.

In another diorama like “WWI Western Front. Diorama 1/32” you can find in other thread, you can see another style, pretty close to “picture in time” (Is just my idea, my intention, this does not mean that I get.)

Thanks

Xavier