Large Scale Central

Lionel Large Scale Diesel wanted.

Looking for a good used Lionel Large Scale diesel, I am wanting to build a chop nose GP9, I am wanting one of the 2 motor high nose Geeps as a starting point. If you have parts or one of the low nose units, thats ok to. I am open to any of thier diesels, even the 4 motor ones if thats all I can find. See them on ebay, over priced and not selling either. No I do not want a USA Geep, they do not like my R1 curves. Thanks Mike

I had one of the first 4-motor GP-20s with sound. The shell is stuffed full of electronics and a lot of wire nuts. You had to pass a signal through the track to sound the bell or horn. That would not work on our club railway.

I gutted all the electronics and installed a battery and radio receiver. It sat still until a lot of power was applied, and then shot off like a jack rabbit. Removed two of the four motors, but it was not much better.

Like most Lionel diesels the pilots swivel with the trucks. The grab irons on the nose and tail are also unrealistically angular, not rounded. I believe it is also 1/32nd scale.

Overall an ugly and difficult locomotive to modify. I gave it and it parts to a local Lionel enthusiast for free with the instructions that I never wanted to see it again.

I had a couple of them back years ago, never had issues with them, I ditched all the electronics and wired them to run with just an on/off switch and onboard battery. I grew up on Lionel so the pilots never really bothered me much, and I can live with it for my curves that I have on my line. I would love to see one “gifted” to me, but not gonna expect that from anyone. Yes they were roughly 1:32nd scale. Mike

I have a boxed LGB 2019s Colorado and Southern mogul that isnt going to be an easy onboard battery conversion from what I see that I would swap for one of the diesels. The mogul runs and makes all the sounds it should. Mike

Oops! Never mind.

-Kevin.