Large Scale Central

Cutting some Styrene - Tower Depot

Finally got some time to more or less finish this. A weird little tower sort of depot I made up. I saw something similar in an archive I was looking through a couple of months ago but this is a free lance sort of ‘I was bored and I need the practice’.

Looks great… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I am going to build a small engine using styrene. How do I do a nice job like you did on your windows for the building? Those look great!

Am I the only one thinking, if that’s what you come up with when you’re bored and need a little practice, I can’t imagine what you’d make if you really put your mind to it…yikes !!

Thanks Guys. I should be more clear I guess, I cut these out of sheet styrene with my Probotix 3D router table, that’s how the window openings are so crisp. The windows themselves are resin castings. (And you can’t see it but they are not. quite. square. bleah :slight_smile:

The table is a kit, I don’t think they make them anymore but there are many similar ones around- they are sort of the poor man’s laser cutter.

I use a free program called Inkscape to make the vector drawings that I cut the parts with. If there is interest I can document my tool path and stuff, I use all free software but I don’t really have a page or anything I can point you to. Anyhow, I do have various ramblings about this and other things on my blog if you care to sift through it.

Martin

martinsant.net

I just noticed what forum I was in! I have to cut the windows out the “old fashioned” way! I figure I am too old to learn 3D work but you never know!

Martin Sant said:

I use a free program called Inkscape to make the vector drawings that I cut the parts with. If there is interest I can document my tool path and stuff, I use all free software but I don’t really have a page or anything I can point you to. Anyhow, I do have various ramblings about this and other things on my blog if you care to sift through it.

Martin

martinsant.net

I use a free 3D program called DesignSpark Mechanical to do my stuff. (Boy is it simple once you know how to use it.) Then I import it into Inkscape to make a vector drawing from the 2D DesignSpark autocad output. From Inkscape, it is pulled into CorelDraw to run the laser. CorelDraw produces/runs both raster and vector-based files.

https://inkscape.org/en/

Thanks Todd, I’ll have to check that out. I use CamBam free to make the Gcode files.

Martin, your model is great. You could easily sell a kit of that model. I’d be the first in line. Like John said, if that’s what you can do foolin’ around, I can’t what to see what you do when you’re serious!

Thanks Rich. That is really nice of you to say that. I will keep that in mind. These are great fun to make.

Martin Sant said:

Thanks Todd, I’ll have to check that out. I use CamBam free to make the Gcode files.

I’ll have to look into that. I do G-code in “G-Simple”… which it’s not really. The hard part with G-Simple is setting up/dealing with the tool post and bits and such that is not typically part of a CAD program.

http://www.gsimple.eu/

Nice work Martin

Very nice job. You have done a nice job with your router

Dennis

as the others said.

i would like to see more of your work.

Korm Kormsen said:

as the others said.

i would like to see more of your work.

Me to.