Large Scale Central

DCC or Revolution install in USA Trains J1e Hudson

Good day - I have been asked to install a Revolution receiver in a beautiful USA Trains J1e Hudson. The sound card is installed in the locomotive and the tender is just about empty (see photo) - most such installs that I have done put the electronics in the tender but motor lines do not go there so that is not an option. I would also like to have access to the sound triggers to allow bell and horn operation so it appears that I have to open the locomotive.
I have found very little information about such an install and wonder if anyone has any experience with disassembling the locomotive and installing DCC or a Revolution receiver.

Any help is appreciated!

thanks

dave

Send Dan Pierce a PM

It is very easy to open the hudson, 1 screw under the front pilot and 2 at the rear,

Now the whole top lifts up /off.

Thanks, Dan - Appreciate the info - I’ll get into in soon and take some photos for others that may need to get into one.

dave

Dave,

Included with the loco when new is the wiring diagrams for the loco and Phoenix sound card, and instructions on using triggers for the sounds. Suggest you call Charles Ro and ask for a PDF.

Thanks, Pete - I called yesterday and no one with the info I need is there till Tuesday.

Will call again then…

great fun!

dave

I won’t be home until late August or I would scan it for you.

P.S. I am in Boston and will be in Charles Ro on Tuesday. PM me if I can do anything to get you the info.

Thanks again, Pete - I think I will be OK once I get it opened - expect to have time to try early in the week

have a good trip!

dave

I found this

http://kb.phoenixsound.com/index.php?id=32

http://www.usatrains.com/pdf/hudsonmanual.pdf

http://www.rayman4449.com/USA_Trains_Hudson_Mods.htm#Model_Info

I dunno if any of that will help you Dave.

David _ I ran across those links, too - what I was really looking for was some video or some photos of the process of disassembly - I think I have enough info to give it a shot -

thanks for your help

dave

Dan Pierce said:

It is very easy to open the hudson, 1 screw under the front pilot and 2 at the rear,

Now the whole top lifts up /off.

Dan - I am ready to open up the Hudson and have a question.

I see two likely candidates for the screws at the rear (one of the two is circled in yellow)

But there are a number of screws at the front - I don’t see one that is obvious. Perhaps this is an older version of the USA Hudson?

Any help is appreciated

thanks

dave

Dan - got it! The single front screw is the middle one in the group of three. Opened right up after that.

thanks

dave

Dave

Here is a link to changing the wick in that smoke unit. USA smoke wick

Thanks, Sean!

dave

Dave

Dan ended up removing all the control boards in my Hudson, and installed a Zimo decoder along with there smoke unit!

Great running engine!

Sean - I have traced the track pickup and motor wiring and plan on installing the Revolution to just the track and motor using the existing circuit board for smoke, headlights & such - I will use the Revo to sound the bell & horn and to change the volume on the sound card.

Once I got it open it looks like a fairly straight-forward job.

dave