Large Scale Central

Foam sheets; a glue substitute

I get Make, the newsletter from makermedia. In it was a tip on gluing foam sheets together. The source was listed as going around on forums, so why not ours?

Instead of glue, try Glidden’s Gripper, a Grey Primer/ Sealer. It is supposed to dry quicker than glues yet has great hold and works like the foam.

Foam can make a nice form for our mountains and other thicker structures…

John

Any oil based paint on foam will make a fantastic glue as it melts the foam

I use Great Stuff, the spray foam in the can. I peal the clear plastic film off the sheets of foam, put down a bead of Great Stuff, and the firmly press the sheets together while rubbing them on each other. The rubbing motion squashes the great stuff and evens it out. Quick and easy.

any oil based liquid makes a nice, irregular surface on foam.

for glueing any acrylic paint works too.

but i prefer to stay with good old white glue for wood. that takes its time for drying, but the glue is stronger, than the foam will ever be.

Yea, I used Krylon spray paint to carve out a steam bed in foam once.

For me its the old tried and true Liquid Nails for Projects.

Doc Tom

On my latest projects I have become sold on Loctite Power Grip adhesive caulking. It can take over 24hrs to cure but it really holds the foam together, this is with both blue and pink foam.

Sounds like great ideas. I used Titebond II glue and held the foam together with shsihkbob sticks until dry. Didn’t work fast, because glue had to dry, but it was cheap and I had it. Has held for 10 years without question. Foam is a great modeling structure.