Large Scale Central

Enlarging Model Buildings

I want to try my hand at building from scratch and have Piko Grizzly Flats station that has fallen apart with some of the trim pieces missing. I love the look of this station and want recreate it using wood or plastic. I also want to add on the sidings and storage building much like the display at New Orleans Square at Disneyland. I’ve taken lots of pictures of the original.

However I want to enlarge the entire building so it is closer to 1:20 scale and looks better with my Bachmann and AMS engines and rolling stock…doesn’t have to be exact but close. I’m thinking of using the original walls, etc to use as a pattern. Can anyone tell me what percentage I should use to blow it so it is a little closer to 1:20??

Thanks,

Richard

Since I am not sure of the scale of Piko buildings, I would assume that they are close to 1:22, to go with LGB equipment. So enlarging the parts to 110% of their current size would put you close to 1:20.

Also, since a standard door is about 7 feet tall, you could work out what scale the Piko building is, assuming the door is close to standard size, and then do the math from there.

Does it have to be exact? You can use this plan…and make adjustments accordingly. I’m betting you could use the windows, at least.

Thanks Bruce!! The diagram certainly gives a starting pointing with which to work…

Richard, for 19.98 I bought 2 (for me 1:29 scale) plastic rulers from Fn3Inc.com. PO box 281, Boardman, OR.+ 97818 I would bet they will have your scale in stock, or you could order both scales and just measure away!