Large Scale Central

GLX SCALE MODELS - 3D PRINTING

In the recent past, I have offered to large scale modelers resin castings of Aristocraft Replacement Parts. Some of you have contacted me with an order. The support of the members of this forum and my local buddies is much appreciated. To provide a better quality product, I have recently acquired a second 3D printer ( filament type ) to my production equipment. Along with my SLA type machine that makes UHD small parts, I can now make many out of production replacement parts that could not be made by resin casting & silicone mold making. The neat advantage of 3D printing is that the CAD design required to make the new part can be up upgraded to make a better part than the original.

Here is one example, the Pilot Mount for a Pacific locomotive. Certain features on the original are actually off center. Most likely due to machinistā€™s errors during the injection mold making process. Canā€™t remember exactly which ones but I found it strange while I was measuring up the part & drawing the CAD file. Secondly, many modelers comment that the Pilot breaks off if the tip is low and hits the track. For this, I reconfigured the area below the mounting screw holes so that there is backing to provide a better rest for the back of the pilot supports.

Iā€™d like to know if there are further improvements that can be done to this part.

Hereā€™s a picture of the new part printed in ABS and painted black.

I have many other parts on my website at:

http://glxscalemodels.com/aristocraft-3d-printed-replacement-parts-/

Thank you

Gilbert

I am one of Gilbertā€™s satisfied customers. I had tried to get a replacement bearing end cap from Aristo for a few years before their demise. But of course, they didnā€™t stock a lot of parts. I had thought of trying to cast my own, but the fine detail on the cap had me unsure that I could replicate it with a casting. Gilbert made a set of the end caps for me, and they are top notch.

I am glad that someone is providing parts for the orphaned Aristo line. And I am a happy customer of GLX.

Thanks Gilbert.

I will also pipe in as I have gotten and provided items for Gilberts library of parts and it is great someone is able to recreate them. I am working on repairing some of my items and great to know someone can recreate those easily damaged parts. If you have parts that Gilbert doesnā€™t have on his list yet send them he is always looking to add to the library. Though Gilbert if you ever decide to get out of the hobby or business please make sure your library goes to someone who will continue this great service!

Mr. Lacroix,

There is a dire need for large scale parts, especially in 1:32. If the only thing available is a 1/4 scale part, can you use it to produce a 1:32 scale part?

For example I need a 1:32 scale headlight that is only available in 1/4 or O scale. Can you use a brass casting of such to reproduce it 3D 1;32.

THANKS

Noel

Hi Noel

Yes, I generally use a donor part to make the 3D CAD file. Itā€™s just a few clicks on the drawing and some number crunching on the calculator to scale up or down the get the new part to the desired size & scale. The proportions stay the same although some wall thicknesses may get changed to keep the part from being too fragile like an egg or to save on raw material by making the part more hollow.

Thanks

Gilbert

Gilbert,

Thanks for your reply.

I will be getting back to you in a few days (weeks). Family crisis now taking up much of my time.

Noel

http://largescalecentral.com/albums/cpr-no-13-station-windows-doors/12509

Another 3D printed project completed. The windows & doors for a 1-29 scale CPR NO.13 Station. Commonly seen in western Canada in the day. Windows & doors are in 2 part sets . Black ABS will be easy to glue & finish by my buddy, Gaston Moreau.

Cool. since they are 3D printed, would it be possible to order them in other scales? Personally I model in 1:24. Many here model in 1:20.3.

Thank you, David - Yes, they can be made in other scales. Itā€™s just a matter of re-scaling the design file at the time of printing. If you or anyone else needs some, please drop me a line. Iā€™ll respond with some PDFs of the windows & doors.

Pricing is $5 (Canadian dollars) per unit in 1-29. $5.25 in 1-24 and $5.50 for 1-20.3 plus $10 flat shipping rate.

GLX now has a replacement bell for the Aristo Pacificā€¦part # 21300-25

The part looks better than the originalā€¦it comes in black, but can be painted to suit your locomotive.

Fred Mills

Father Fred (Mills) asked me to make him a diamond deck plate for his Annie. Fred normally made it with sheet styrene. With the use of my ABS filament 3D printer, I was able to go one step further & make a textured part.

One picture shows the CAD file. One shows the printed part primed white and then I sanded the surface to better show the diamond texture.

The last picture shows the part with a coat of black paint on the top. I slid the 0.1ā€™ā€™ OD styrene tubing which Fred will be gluing in place under the new part. He slides a stiff piece of piano wire in the tube. The piano wire gets fixed to the rear of the engineā€™s cab floor. The hinging helps pivot the the deck plate between the cab & the tender floors. The engine and the tender have previously mounted closer together. Fred tells me he has wide curves on his outdoor layout.

Gilbert - can you please email my wife with a list of the components that you make, or can make? I canā€™t open your link, for some reason - I get this message instead -

Sorry - the data format of this link is incompatible with your operating system.

HP of Japan

Best

tac

OVGRS.org

What link canā€™t you open?

The jpg? Or his web site?

The jpg is the same as the first thumbnail in his post.

The web site: http://glxscalemodels.com/

This is pretty much where you want to go for G scale replacement parts: http://glxscalemodels.com/aristocraft-3d-printed-replacement-parts-/

Greg

p.s. where does HP of Japan come from? Your computer? Sounds like something else is going on.

Thank you, Greg Elmassian.

Hope you find your way, Tac.

BTW I donā€™t keep or issue lists of my parts. The website does all that & more, as well as provide pictures.

Greg, my PC is Japanese, and although it is made by Hewlett-Packard, it does not use a conventional Windows OS, but one that is made for Japan using so-called fuzzy-logic. This is one of the reasons why it does not display emoticons, ā€˜readā€™ many links and so on. Perhaps itā€™s time to invest in a ā€˜Westernā€™ PC.

In Japan, ALL PCs/laptops and so on are installed with the fuzzy-logic OS, or else they could not deal with the Japanese language the way they do. If you come to Japan with a Windows system PC you will not be able to communicate in Japanese with a native machine - this is why there are stores in Tokyo and other big cities where you go to get your Western OS machines fixed, or exchanged for those that work in Japan. Same for your cellphone - regular Western cellphones just do not function in Japan, one of the reasons why the arrival hall of any international airport is crammed with sales/rental booths.

tac

PS - Perhaps I should have noted that the caveat was in Japanese, not English.

Hmmā€¦ interestingā€¦ I worked for 2 Japanese companies, and they both used the Japanese version of Windows.

It was an interesting help to my learning Japanese, since the language has trouble with Western words, when it does not attempt to just use a phonetic spelling. Since I started with CP/M and Pascal, etc. I have been using computers before DOS 1.0 came out, and of course I started Windows with version 1.0. Iā€™m stating this because even though my command of the Japanese language was basic, I knew what the menus said, so I could navigate Japanese windows often just by the position of items in the menus.

Back to your statement, I have NEVER heard of what you are talking about. I have never seen what is called a PC with anything other than Windows or a Unix derivative in Japan.

I have seen portable computers that were non Windows, but these were mostly unique tablets or strange hybrids. Not what people use in commercial companies. (Also there is no reason to use fuzzy logic in a traditional computer, it is not an analog analog - think about that statement - itā€™s digital in itā€™s tasks for the most part).

Also, I worked for Hewlett Packard for a number of years. Would you please give me some links that educate me on this: "In Japan, ALL PCs/laptops and so on are installed with the fuzzy-logic OS, or else they could not deal with the Japanese language the way they do. "

On the desktop and laptop computers I used in Japan, which were either IBM or HP, they were all Japanese Windows, and it was the advent of 2 byte characters incorporated to the operating system that really helped. The issue to deal with the language was the ability to store all the characters (thus the 2 byte character storage)ā€¦ I was using computers when this was implemented, before it was called Unicode, or JIS or shift-JIS.

By the way, here at work, Iā€™m doing updates on my Sony PCG-505, the first Sony Vaio made (I have the 64 megabyte model) (obtained in 1997) Updating ccleaner, and put a SSD into it. It only came with a 4 gigabyte hard driveā€¦ It has hirigana on the keyboard, and the extra shift keys to convert phonemes to Kanjiā€¦ I actually know how to do this.

So please show me where there is a fuzzy logic OS UNDERNEATH Windows in all Japanese PCā€™s ā€¦ Iā€™m not trying to be confrontive, but your statement is fantastic (in the strict sense of the definition of the word).

Regards, Greg

Greg

OK, Iā€™m assuming the person who voted on my reputation on 2 different posts here, it was not an ā€œincreaseā€ reputation. Perhaps it was, but most likely not.

If someone has an issue with my 2 last posts, please come back with facts and information, rather than hide behind a voting button.

This is an open forum, and if you post something unbelievable, as an adult, you should be prepared to back your statements with facts.

Greg

p.s. the word fantastic means unbelievable, not ā€œgreatā€ā€¦

Remember Greg; some so called ā€œAdultsā€ act like spoiled children, and to get one of them to admit to doing such a thing, especially when challenged is a bit too much to expectā€¦ Thank you for trying to share some foreign computer knowledge with us, but it is mostly outside my computer interest area. I pretty much only use a computer for simple communication, and so far I have had nothing to do with the computer ā€œInnardsā€ from Japan, even when communicating with my good friend, Terry Foleyā€¦!!

Fred Mills

Yes, and really sorry to get this derailed, but I worked for 2 Japanese companies, and have purchased about 6 ā€œjapan onlyā€ computers, all with Windows, including the one pictured from 1997. Iā€™m also very familiar with fuzzy logic, one of the first uses was in Japan using rice cookers, and I have one from 20 years ago, a ā€œNationalā€ brand (known as Panasonic here). (google ā€œfirst appliance to use fuzzy logicā€)

Really trying to help TAC, but his computer cannot have a fuzzy logic operating system and have windows on top of it. Unfortunately, some of the ā€œtweaksā€ in the Japanese version of Windows XP and Vista really interfered with some mainstream Windows programs, so if he has something really old, and itā€™s XP or Vista, and heā€™s trying to use a current browser, he may have an issue, but the bottom line was that there is nothing wrong with the GLX web site, and did not want people to start hammering GLX to provide them printouts when itā€™s really an excellent web site.

Iā€™m re-iterating that GLX is about the only source for replacement parts for the now-defunct Aristo-Craft and Iā€™m grateful he has made so many parts available, and hoping for more!

Greg

We all have our Croix to bear.