Large Scale Central

I am at a crossroads......

Before I start, more than likely I will ramble on. So, if you don’t want to read a lot mind wandering text, click the back arrow(top left corner). lol.

I just need feedback, advice, and to vent. I am 40 and starting over with a family is scary.

A quick back story. I am the IT guy for the school district in the town where I live. I have worked here for 17+ years. Before that I worked at a local business equipment shop as an IT guy in the neighboring town I grew up in. Right now, my state has no budget in place and there is a possibility that I may not get paid after a set amount of days in the upcoming school year.

My wife and I planned on moving, anywhere from here, when I was close to my retirement. Recently things had changed. My parents moved to where my sister and her family live. So, our plans have changed. We were thinking of moving to that area in 3-5 years. My daughter has one more year of high school. That being said…

Yesterday, my brother in law says they are hiring at his office right now. He wants me to come work at the company he is at…now. Like, right now, and get my resume in to him asap. The job is still IT related, but it is nothing I am familiar with. So, there will be a learning curve and training involved.

That being said, I don’t know what to do. My wife wants me to give them my resume and we will go from there. Do I stay where I’m at and hope for the best, or do I go for the new prospect in a new town and state.

Matt. As you know, School Districts are under tight budget, and with the economy being what it is, State funding is never a for certain. Your Age and family will help make the adjustment. If your daughter really, really, really wants to graduate with her classmates of 11years, One of her best friends family just might take her in for the school year.

Todays job market almost requires you to move about where the jobs are, and even corporations might require you to transfer within their company locations. IT is IT, yes you will need to be re-trained, but they will be giving you a set of skills that are as current as it gets. The newest technology with a pay check, and a new skill set that will make you even more marketable should you have to move on.

Set the family down, All of you, and have an open discussion, Most of all, listen openly, they are in this also.

Matt, you may not have enough information yet to make a decision. I think your wife is on the right track: take the next step in front of you. Send in the resume and see what they come back with. If the actual offer from the company (not your brother-in-law) isn’t all that great, or if the security is uncertain, then the decision could be made for you. If they come back with a reliable credible offer you can’t refuse, then you take it from there, including as Dave says, listening to family input.

I hear you loud and clear on the scary part…real scary when there’s a family counting on you. Lots of pressure (ultimately on you) to make the right decision with no guarantees. If only we could see into the future.

Good luck to you and your family.

Thanks for the input Dave. I really do appreciate it. My daughter is willing to move. When first mention of moving in 3-5 years, she was ready to go then. So, her school/freinds are not holding her back. Honestly, she would have better options at the new high school. But we would be going from a high school that has a couple hundred kids, to a high school that has waaaaay more kids. Tomorrow, we are going to sit down again and discuss things. I think it’s me that is the one that can’t make the leap.

John Passaro said:

Matt, you may not have enough information yet to make a decision. I think your wife is on the right track: take the next step in front of you. Send in the resume and see what they come back with. If the actual offer from the company (not your brother-in-law) isn’t all that great, or if the security is uncertain, then the decision could be made for you. If they come back with a reliable credible offer you can’t refuse, then you take it from there, including as Dave says, listening to family input.

I hear you loud and clear on the scary part…real scary when there’s a family counting on you. Lots of pressure (ultimately on you) to make the right decision with no guarantees. If only we could see into the future.

Good luck to you and your family.

Much appreciated John.

The job is real. It boils down to me. If I do well on the interview and the company testing. My brother in law in confident that I will do fine. Me, well, not so much. I’ve not interviewed for a job in over 20 years. Learning something new comes with my job I have now. The new company’s position is nothing I have ever dealt with.

I have never been in this position. The job I have now is stable, well it was. Who knows what will happen. Supposedly my district only has 72 days of operating funds. After than…???

Or I have the new opportunity. That could be really good. If I am able to learn it.

Matt,

For one it never hurts to turn in a resume. You can always say no. Also it is best to listen to the wife. Now I am not saying that tongue in cheek or in jest. I am saying that because likely she knows you better than anyone else and can help you think on it objectively. It also effects her equally. I agree with others to get the information and sit the family down. There are always options. I will throw some out for you to bounce around. Family may want to move. Daughter could stay with someone to finish out here high school career. Mom and daughter can stay and you can leave for a year until daughter is done. Maybe you can stay and not take the job.

Lots of things to think about. My dad was offered a great opportunity to come to Idaho when I was 9. He left the known and saftey of his life for a change. My oldest sister stayed and finished her last year in high school. My middle sister hated the move. I loved it. He moved ahead of the family and lived here for 6 months before we could join him.

Bottom line it has to be a family decision (you and your wife with daughters input). Good luck you will know whats right. I believe with reasonably responsible people that generally they can make the right decision.

does the new job advance your career? being at the same job for 17 years, did you advance expertiese wise and salary wise?

I’m guessing you need to move and step up in experience and salary.

Been in the industry with programming, computers, electronics for longer than you have been alive, lots of opportunity in IT…

Greg

i would give it a try.

it is 48 years since my first day at work, i changed not only employers, but professions too. i even ended up on another continent.

but the only decisions, i regret, are those, where i left the iniciative to others.

giddy up go, man!

I just recently changed jobs, but I didn’t have to move. I wasn’t looking for a job, when this opportunity just fell into my lap. I went into the interview process with an open mind. I didn’t need the job, so I was calm and relaxed during the interviews. This company said all the right things, and offered me a much better opportunity then I had where I was. But my experience in the equipment they have was very limited and it was well over 16 years ago. I was hesitant about learning and working on stuff I wasn’t familiar with. To add to my concern, I am the only technician in my territory. If another tech has to come and help me, he will have to drive 4 hours or more to get here. So, I am on my own, with equipment I am not very familiar with.

My point is; I can certainly understand your hesitations. But your current job situation has become uncertain. You have an opportunity with a company that will probably have opportunities for advancement. Your family sounds like they will support you in either decision.

My best advice is; look at the situation as if it were your best friend asking you. If your friend came to you with this situation what would you tell him? You need to take your emotions and fears out of the equation and see what the best answer is. Change can be scary, I know, I just did it. But the new job can be exciting, because its something different.

I agree with with the idea of sending in your resume and see where it goes. You don’t have to accept an offer just because you sent in a resume and went on an interview or two. See what the offer is, and ask questions during the interview. Then you will have more information to base your decision on. That’s what I did. I was perfectly willing to say no if the offer wasn’t a good one, and you should be too. But if the offer is a good one, then you have to really think about it.

Always have “Plan B”. Take a chance or you will forever wonder “What if”. You work to live, not live to work. At 17 years you should have “tenure”. So look forward and pursue the future. By the way, I agree with the idea that the salary and benefits should at least match what you have, no reason to go backwards.

Enjoy this ride through life. There are no rewinds and no replays. This is it.

Devon, thanks. I think that’s where I’m at now. I’m going to send my resume in and just go from there.

Greg, There is no advancement at my current job. I do get a raise every year, but other than that, that’s it. Then new opportunity will start me out with more money and lots of perks. There will be advancement opportunities as well.

Thanks Korm!

Thanks David. That’s some good advice. I’ll try that.

Ric, I don’t have tenure like a teacher does. But I do have a pension. The new opportunity is more money starting out with the ability for advancement.

I appreciate all the input guys. I’ve never been in this situation before. Today, we are going to sit down today and discuss things a little further. At this point, I think I’ll give my resume to them. It’s not exactly impressive, since I’ve only worked at two places in the past 20+ years. lol. Thanks for all the support. :smiley:

Matt, you only worked at 2 places in 20 years. I envy you. Your resume shows that you aren’t the kind of person to jump from from job to job. My resume looks like I can’t put down roots. Every 4 to 6.5 years I change jobs.

David, yes. I worked for a local office supply business that sold their own brand of computers. I was around 19 at the time. I worked there for a few years then started at the school in February of 1999. Before that it was just jobs in high school at local pizza places. I mowed yards as well.

I don’t like not knowing what to do. It’s hard to just make a leap of faith, when my salary is what supports the family. But, if school closes due to budget crisis, then I have no salary. So… I’m going to talk with the superintendent tomorrow and see how serious things are. One local district sent a letter home to the parents giving them a heads up. This is a neighboring county. http://www.disclosurenewsonline.com/2016/06/04/hamilton-county-schools-taking-proactive-approach-to-budget-crisis/#sthash.E441bTMF.dpbs

And here is harrisburg, il. http://thesouthern.com/news/local/education/harrisburg-school-district-hosts-education-funding-forum-as-budget-worries/article_bd1912d6-531e-5086-95f5-beec2bd67049.html

We are all in the same boat. No money. :frowning:

Well Matt, I am not telling you what to do. In my case, 3 of the last 4 jobs I left, I left due to the financial (in)stability of the company I was working for. I quit DANKA and Keystone Business Machines, because they were having financial problems. Oce laid me off for the same reason. None of those 3 companies still exist, at least not in the same form as when I worked for them.

As you said, my household relies, in part, on my income. When I saw those companies starting to implode, I made my escape. I didn’t want to tie my financial security and future to those sinking ships. When Oce laid me off, I had already interviewed with a few other companies, its just an offer had not come through before I was laid off.

So, if you are listing the pros and cons of staying or moving on, the financial footing of your current employer also needs to be listed in the appropriate column. Legally, at lest in my state, schools have to open and they have to be open a certain number of days per school year. If that means running on a minimum crew, then that is what they will do. That could mean you get furloughed until the funds are secured, or you are shifted to part time. neither one would be good for your financial situation.

I’m going to sit down tomorrow with the superintendent and just point blank ask, what’s going on. I had to do that with the last superintendent when things went crazy a few years back.

We did a pro/con’s today. It’s about 50/50 with it more leaning towards staying, that’s without the main fear of me not having a job being listed. That’s pretty much the trump card.

Where the hell is the publisher’s clearing house. I’ve been filling those out for years. That would solve all this. lol. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

Where the hell is the publisher’s clearing house. I’ve been filling those out for years. That would solve all this. lol. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif)

Yea, mee too

My retirement plan is based on winning Powerball. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Steve Featherkile said:

My retirement plan is based on winning Powerball. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I just know that container of Beanie Babies is going to pay off!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

PS: Pops knew the Franklin Mint was going to make him rich with Commemorative Coins that only looked like the real thing!

My now deceased m-i-l had a lottery ticket with 6 of 7 numbers correct and in sequence. She was told by her idiot youngest daughter that the ticket was worthless. In truth, it was worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars. In a landfill, somewhere…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)