Large Scale Central

Layout Infrastructure

When planning a new layout, or an extension to an existing layout, many of us cannot resist the urge to quickly get some track down and get the trains running. This is a good thing … at least for the most part. It helps us to keep the fire stoked. After all, doing layout infrastructure is no fun. Who wants to be working when you could be playing?

The problem is that sooner or later you have to come back and put in the necessary infrastructure. “Just what is layout infrastructure?’ you may ask. In a nutshell, infrastructure encompasses all of those non-railroad things that make the layout attractive, accessible, safe, durable, easy to maintain, and downright fun to operate. It is simple things like drainage, pathways, power, lighting, landscaping, irrigation, and storage.

It includes major scenic features like ponds and streams, mountains, and canyons. It includes minor things like footings for future bridge abutments. It may include security cameras or wi-fi hotspots and the associated Ethernet cabling. If you are a “sparky”, it is a place for your power supplies and all of the distribution power wiring. It involves a bit of planning to build patios and seating areas in areas that will compliment your future focal points.

Layouts can consume many tons of rock, gravel, and fill dirt during construction. Make sure you have a way to get the materials to the required places. It’s tough to get raw materials to the interior of the layout after the outer loop is built and operating (common sense but I had to learn it the hard way.)

Infrastructure needs to be maintained, just like locos and rolling stock. Doing it correctly the first time means a lot less maintenance later on. Sure, you can “Okie” it (a local term for using duct tape and baling wire to get anything built) and then just “band-aid” it forever. But that kind of takes the fun out of running trains.

It’s like the mechanic’s line in the old oil change commercial, “You can pay me now, or pay me later.” And later is always more difficult.

Bob

Good points, Bob, as I’m finding out. Doesn’t hurt to spend some time in the planning stage, too. Just don’t think it to death…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Boy I hope Devon doesn’t read this… he will try to rethink every thing!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Great summary, Bob… Some things you can plan for, then find out it was more intense than you had calculated… No matter how much planning or calculating is done, there always seems to be something that will surprise you… At that time, one just has to go with the flow…

Bob, thanks for that valuable information. As you state, it is important to consider the infrastructure that supports or cohabitates with our railroads. we have to realize that all we are doing is building cities and towns on a miniature scale and supporting infrastructure is vital to any city’s success. However, it is easy to go to far and never get anything accomplished. I am a prime example. Being a civil engineer that works with infrastructure planning on a daily basis, I am hindering my own progress on the Waverly Southern RR worrying about drainage, access, landscaping, foundations, etc. One area that I don’t think we can over think is drainage. Water is just like our trains. Neither of them like to go uphill without a lot of help and going downhill to fast can lead to significant damage to equipment, landscaping and rail beds. We have to provide water somewhere to go.

Ok, I’ll go back to over thinking now. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Dan Hilyer said:

One area that I don’t think we can over think is drainage. Water is just like our trains. Neither of them like to go uphill without a lot of help and going downhill to fast can lead to significant damage to equipment, landscaping and rail beds. We have to provide water somewhere to go.

No need to over think it, just get a hose, let the water run for a while. That will tell the tale.

As far as drainage went on my pike.

I waited for it to really rain before I installed water the water letter outers!

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Boy I hope Devon doesn’t read this… he will try to rethink every thing!(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I burst out laughing at this. I was just about to reply to it so I could say “see all the planning will be worth it.”

But really Bob is right and I really have tried to think out as much of this stuff as I can. Maybe I am overthinking but at the end of the day I don’t think anyone will say “you planned this out to much.” Especially when all the old gummers can move around. I would rather take my time and only build the infrastructure once. Then I can remodel instead of rebuild.

Thanks Bob for giving me a bit of validation.

Devon, you are a dream-dancer…

like Bob i tend to pre-plan a lot.

the fact, that after 46 years in the hobby i am still only “working” on my fourth layout tells a lot. specially, if i admit, that i never had a completed layout for more than three years or so.

building and armchair modelling before that, are much more to my taste, than just watching trains going roundy round…

about three dozens of consecutive plans before i touch any tool are normal.

and then (and that is, why i call you, Devon, a dream-dancer) in the building phase the executed plan gets alterated another dozen of times again.

those other guys, who throw some track on the lawn, and let the layout evolve step by step are much quicker, than we “over-thinkers”.

I spent a year planning and tweaking my plan, because I was waiting for Aristo to produce the wide radius, stainless steel switches. It was a year of agony. But it did help me to refine my plan, and gave me time to build number 7 and her passenger cars.

David Maynard said:

I spent a year planning and tweaking my plan, because I was waiting for Aristo to produce the wide radius, stainless steel switches. It was a year of agony. But it did help me to refine my plan, and gave me time to build number 7 and her passenger cars.

Remind me to send a thank you note to Aristocraft…those are still the nicest passenger cars I’ve ever seen.

John Passaro said:

David Maynard said:

Remind me to send a thank you note to Aristocraft…those are still the nicest passenger cars I’ve ever seen.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Bob and the rest of you all’s; A couple of thing to think of as well as rocks and dirt and track. What about some electrical power to run those power tools you will be using, and maybe water to keep the plants green in the Summer (if it ever comes)? Yes you can run a LONG extension cord, as I currently do and lay the water hose out a 100 feet, but wouldn’t be easier to run only 25 feet?

That is what I’ll do, if I ever build a new layout.

Paul

Whenever I advise people wanting to build a garden railroad, I tell them that above the ground 1.5 feet or so, with water and electricity at least inside the loop, and perhaps behind as well. If they’ve got automatic sprinklers, I advise them to run a line from a valve into the rr somewhere, and low voltage (I do need a 120 line in the RR but don’t have it. Didn’t think of it at the time). My other advice: “Don’t over-think it. Planning is no substitute for operation.”