Large Scale Central

MTH PS3 upgrade and new speaker.

The new PS3 board really improved the sound on my Hudson. Not hard to install, two screws,on the rear of the loco bottom and one up into the front of the boiler(have to move the front truck). Depending on your Hudson you will have to modify the metal holder for the board, but it’s not hard. While it was upside down I also put on new skates and tires. Then I got the speaker upgrade from Ray and that also made a big difference, much better bass. Worth it, I think. I have code 250 track and the narrower top of the rail puts more pressure on the skated than the 332, but just my theory!

That’s good news to hear, Jerry, thanks for the news. I really like the MTH loco quality and operation and have a number of them with the original PS2 systems. But with the size of my layout I was having issues with the DCS through the track and gave up on it. Instead, I installed a TIU board and battery in several MTH trailing boxcars (it’s a tight fit but it does work) to be able to run them. I’m very interested in upgrading some of them to the PS3 system. That way I could follow Kevin Strong’s suggestions and install a Tam Valley Depot wireless receiver and battery and run them on the PS3 available DCC, using an Airwire transmitter which I already have…to get the full use of all the MTH functions.

I am getting the impression from your post that the PS3 conversion is not too big of a deal. I understand that it requires a new board. Was this board specific for the Hudson with the Hudson sounds pre-programmed, do they come generic steam or diesel/electric, or did you have to program it yourself? I’m also interested in the speaker upgrade. Who is your source for these? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot…Mark Betlem

Ray Manley is who I get all my parts from. He is a MTH repair facility and sales of parts/trains. Very helpful when you are having problems. I have the new Big Boy 4014 on order from him. The Hudson card is for that locomotive but he/you can program in the sounds you want. The conversion is just taking out the old board, all the plugs are different sizes, so easy to replace. Also, you do not need the battery anymore and you can run it either direction easier. His web site has lots of helpful suggestions on how to improve your MTH engines and other makes. He also installs MTH into engines that did not come with it. He did that for my Robert’s Lines Pioneer Zephyer.

Ray’s MTH web page

email: [email protected]

Jerry, Thanks so much for the info. I went right to Ray’s web page and was very pleasantly surprised. He has some really cool MTH parts that I didn’t realize were available. I’m thinking that my MTH fleet now has a much brighter future. Good stuff!

Glad to help Mark. Lots of good info on his web pages about using the MTH trains better. If you have a bad smoke unit, he has the parts to fix them, so you can go back to good smoke. Doesn’t cost much. I just ordered two more speakers to upgrade my Daylight and Challenger.

Jerry, That’s an understatement about the lots of good info on his web site. MTH parts and upgrades with the technical expertise to go along with them. This is great!

Mark, Ray has a good forum that has quite a bit of 1/32 and MTH info posts.

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/

Jerry, I just checked out Ray’s forum…very informative and interesting for us MTH aficionados. Thanks again.

Jerry, no agenda here, but I heard that the PS3 sound system (electronics) is the same as the PS2 one, that the difference you are hearing is most likely due to the speaker or the sound file (or both).

Also, have you tried it on DCC yet? (I know you don’t have DCC yourself).

Greg

Nope Greg. Put the PS3 in , sound was better than the old PS2, then ordered the new upgrade speaker from Ray, got it in a week or two later. And it was better than the old speaker with the PS3 install. The PS3 was all one piece, no other parts. It give you the sound and the better control system and the DCC all in one.

Here is the new speaker next to the old one.