Large Scale Central

Deleting stuff with corrupt file names

Bob or anyone else,

I have some photos in my freight shed I would like to delete. However they have symbols that I used that the software does not like. It wont post the pictures, nor can I delete them, nor can I change their name. I can’t make them go away. How do I get rid of them.

Bob,

Can you do it on your end. hcan get oyu a list of the ones I want deleted if I am unable to do so on my end

In your Freight Shed click on the “-” sign in the red circle next to the file you wish to delete.

Devon: Send me the file names you want to delete, or I can just go in and delete everything with a bad filename.

Bob, while on the subject of freight sheds, I have noticed that I have “used” 7.6 megs of space, but I only have two small images in the shed, far less than 1/2 meg total. Any suggestions on how I can clear the “ghost” usage and place other images in the shed? Thanks.

Rich,

Your Freight Shed should be a total of 10 MB (not 1/2 MB as you stated). What is the FILE size of those “two small photos” ?

I get that Joe. I have only used about ½ meg of image space, but the used chart shows I’ve used 7.26+/- megs of space. Just need Bob to look at it to see if I’m missing something. Two small images shouldn’t consume 7+ megs of space. I suspect there’s a problem in the shed space that Bob can probably resolve.

Hey Rich. In addition to those two files, you have a directory called “Rich Niemeyer”, which contains a few images and a big video.

Joe Zullo said:

In your Freight Shed click on the “-” sign in the red circle next to the file you wish to delete.

Nope Joe,

It doesn’t work with corrupt file names. It won’t delete them or do anything to them.

Bob McCown said:

Devon: Send me the file names you want to delete, or I can just go in and delete everything with a bad filename.

Ill send you a list Bob

Yep, only BM can handle these problems. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

very old rule in computers, no embedded spaces or special characters… the damnest thing is that some systems will let you CREATE a file name, but you cannot DELETE the same name… that is just plain goofy, but it’s been this way as long as I can remember, like 1974 or so.

Greg

I am learning Greg.

Bob, thank you for the assistance. I did delete the video and saved considerable space for new additions. However, there are two files in the directory that have bad file names that I cannot delete. My bad. They are lauout#1 and layout#2. If you can delete them I would appreciate it. I will then save some new files that I’d like to share. Thanks again for your help.

Its those pesky # symbols. I think everyone of my files that are corrupt have the # symbol. I have the bad habit of doing it before I found out it was a no no.

Should be all set, guys.

I should peek into the Freight Shed code and see about not allowing things like spaces and special characters. Its ancient code, though, and tough to work with. It wasnt originally written for this forum software, I ported the front end over when we switched systems, but the back end is still the same.

Bob McCown said:

Should be all set, guys.

I should peek into the Freight Shed code and see about not allowing things like spaces and special characters. Its ancient code, though, and tough to work with. It wasnt originally written for this forum software, I ported the front end over when we switched systems, but the back end is still the same.

That was easier than I thought. I already ‘sanitized’ directory names when they were created, so I just extended that to file uploads, too.

Thank You Bob. Great work and well needed too!

Thank you Bob. I understand how to label files now, and shouldn’t have any future problems.

Thanks Bob,

Like rick i will also now know better.

Bob, what are the “sanitizing” rules? Just curious what are the forbidden characters…

Regards, Greg