Large Scale Central

LGB 50110 Transformer

I have an LGB 50110 5 amp transformer that I would like to use on my Lionel layout to power accessories. However, 20 VAC is too much for some accessories. Is there a device that I can use to throttle down the power coming from this transformer and keep the finished product AC current ?

Rheostat?

David Maynard said:

Rheostat?

Barbara or Linda?

Never thought of them, Dave…LOL

Of course not. Rheostats are old school, like relays and vacuum tubes. But since I am an old school kind of guy…

A rheostat is a variable resistor and voltage will change with current.

Since the 50110 is a 7va unit, just buy a doorbell transformer rated at .5 amps or more as .5 amps at 16 volts would give more than 7va.

Yes, voltage will change with current, but if you set it right, you can have a set voltage, that will only go down (a bit) as the load is increased.

But your idea of a doorbell transformer sounds like a better idea. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, since I used doorbell transformers on my N scale layout, and as cheap power in a few dioramas that I built.

you can use two strings of diodes to conduct ac but the diodes will drop 0.7 volts each… what voltage dou you want?

i have a simple, inexpensive circuit on my site… search for “dropper”

Greg

Found it Greg. It will give a set voltage. I need variable AC voltage. I decided to just use a Lionel transformer instead. Why try to re-invent the wheel ?

Why? I do it because I would rather use what I have, I’m cheep. I enjoy the challange. And I like that confused look on people’s faces when I explain what I done did.