Large Scale Central

Airwire converter help

I’m doing battery/ rc in a LGB 2060. I’m going with a airwire converter board I purchased for a on30 project. Since ditched the on30 stuff. Going to use this in my 2060. Would like to get a dcc decoder to use with the converter. Would like motor control and sound. Any thoughts of what to use?

Hi Todd, it has been a log time. This is a small loco to fit all the gear inside. I converted one using the RailLinx Elite 3 board, Phoenix P8 in the front hood and a AAA small battery pack in the short hood. Customer is in Mass. I mention this so you have a reference for available space. The G3 board is way too long to fit inside. I can send you photos if you need them.

Maybe Kevin will jump in here as he seen a variety of DCC sound decoders that might fit. I am interested in how the install goes.

Don

Hi Don, thanks for reply. The board is the airwire converter which is smaller. I think it was designed for small critters for Airwire users. It’s a little smaller than the G3. I don’t know if I could get a Phoenix system in there. I’m hoping I can get a dcc decoder with sound, this would maximize space. Do you know how much amps the LGB block draws? I was hoping Kevin Strong would chime in also. Keep you in the loop.

Hi Todd, 1.5 amp with the sound. Using the Converter with a DCC sound decoder could fit. If you want the correct European sound then ESU V4 might be an option.

Thanks that is very helpful. Correct sound is not such a big deal. Something plauseable. The unit is going to work on my indoor gravel road. it will just have to please me.

I used a Digitrax DH123p in my Bachmann Davenport. Sound was from a phoenix. it worked well until I was pushing a few AMS boxcars uphill 2% and got one stuck in a switch. I pushed it past the stall amps and let the magic smoke out of the decoder.

The davenport hood area is small and I put a 14.8 LiIon square pack, the convertr, speaker, phoenix & decoder in there. Granted, it’s tight.

Terry

Todd,

Soundtraxx Econami ECO-200 sound and motor control 2A about $65.00 would work nicely I suspect.

There is also a 4A decoder, $120.00. The Converter is rated for 2.5A MAX.

Michael

I used a Zimo MX645 with their gas-electric sound file in my LGB 2063 (Davenport). Works and sounds fantastic! Train-li loaded the sound file and did the core programming for me. The cool thing with the Zimo is that it can control servos, so you can have automatic uncouplers should you desire to rig them on your loco. I had Train-li set them up, but I’ve yet to install the servos. With the 2063, everything (11.1v battery, decoder, convertr, and 2" speaker) fits neatly under the hood. I think the 2060 may be a little smaller, but you shouldn’t have much trouble.

Later,

K

Todd

Talk to Dan Pierce ( You might have to go to a meeting Ha! )

He probably did Kevin’s Zimo MX645 for him.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Todd

Talk to Dan Pierce ( You might have to go to a meeting Ha! )

He probably did Kevin’s Zimo MX645 for him.

Yes he did. No complaints at all, though I need to call him to figure out how to migrate the brake feature to F7 instead of F3. I tried doing it how I thought the manual was telling me, and while I do get the function moved, I ended up with a ghastly sound whenever it’s pressed. It’s not the brake squeal. Sounds kind of like flange squeal, but not quite. It’s back to F3 for the time being. (All my other locos with brake features are set up for F7, and had I known this decoder offered that function, I would have had Dan map it there for me right out of the gate.

Later,

K

There are 2 versions of the Zimo MX645, one is 1.2 amps, and the P22 version is 1.8 amps.

The non P22 version is much smaller than the Phoenix and has programmable sound, could control a smoke unit with 3 heat settings and has capability of controlling 2 servos.

Go to zimo.at and download the 620,630,640 small decoder manual and see all the features available in this decoder.

I am running a 2060 with a much older Zimo decoder spec’d at 1 amp and it never gives me trouble.