Large Scale Central

LGB Parts?

I’m supposed to fix this loco. Somebody took it apart years ago, but never fixed it. It has an LGB block like this:

And has chewed a gear:

Where can I get a replacement block or perhaps gear?

Notice that one of the pickup brushes doesn’t come out. I can poke it in, but it doesn’t come out.

(He says it’s his favorite loco.)

TrainLi has lots of LGB parts, I’d contact Joane (pronounced Jo-Anne) at:

Phone: 508-529-9166

Email: [email protected]

I’m not affiliated with them in any way, other than being a satisfied customer.

Maybe BridgeMasters. They bought up a bunch of the LGB stuff from San Diego when LGB left town.

They have a web site.

Cliff Jennings said:

TrainLi has lots of LGB parts, I’d contact Joane (pronounced Jo-Anne) at:

Phone: 508-529-9166

Email: [email protected]

I’m not affiliated with them in any way, other than being a satisfied customer.

I go to them for parts and service all of the time. The just repaired my DCC boards for my old mogul.

or you can take a look at german ebay.

Tom,

That appears to be a motor block from LGB’s diesel switcher. The gears and brushes are available at Train Li USA.

Michael

You are also missing a “slider” buss on the right side. Unless you have already pulled it out.

The brushes should move outwards if you stick a small screwdriver in next to the center and twist it. Once they are out far enough grab it with a small pair of needle nose pliers and pull. Since you are going to replace the brushes anyway, it doesn’t matter if the carbide breaks.

I’ll try trainli!

Tom Ruby said:

I’ll try trainli!

Learns real quick he does! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Tom, if you’re coming to Carlyle this weekend, I think I have the gear set you need.

Block has bad idler gear, missing one silver contact for the shoes that are missing.

Trainli does have the wheel brushes, pickup shoes, and idler gears. Silver contact may be difficult to find.

And this same block is used on the DRG #50 caterpiller diesel. Many versions have been made some are 3 wire blocks, others are 4 wire.

Or, you could 3D print one!

nylon?

Greg Elmassian said:

nylon?

Greg - FYI, I purchased a spool of nylon for my 3D printer a year or two ago - I also had to get a temperature reducing gizmo for the table - I gave it a shot but never got anything close to satisfactory results.

I have been reading about making gears with a laser cutter using a plastic called delrin - I found some sources but it is pretty expensive to buy just to see if gears work with it - I may give it a shot as that may be a better solution

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delrin-Acetal-Black-Sheet-125-x-12-x-24-/121668756893?hash=item1c5405e59d:g:MhwAAOSwB4NWz6ou

dave

For LGB I have used Peter Zenner in Germany.

Great service and low postage costs which is important when you live in Australia.

I sent a picture and a brief description of a part I was after and he found it for me.

Web page for LGB spare parts with the pickup brushes http://www.zennershop.de/shop/en/g-scale-spare-parts/?p=1

David Bodnar said:

Greg Elmassian said:

nylon?

Greg - FYI, I purchased a spool of nylon for my 3D printer a year or two ago - I also had to get a temperature reducing gizmo for the table - I gave it a shot but never got anything close to satisfactory results.

I have been reading about making gears with a laser cutter using a plastic called delrin - I found some sources but it is pretty expensive to buy just to see if gears work with it - I may give it a shot as that may be a better solution

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delrin-Acetal-Black-Sheet-125-x-12-x-24-/121668756893?hash=item1c5405e59d:g:MhwAAOSwB4NWz6ou

dave

Delrin is an engineering plastic that is a bit greasy, in other words, its supposed to be self lubricating. We used that to make pump pistons at one company I worked for. Its is pricey, but its a durable plastic that was used for making gears for a while. Until the model manufacturers discovered that Nylon was cheaper.

Ya gets what ya pays for! If nylon is cheaper it’s not better for our applications, IMHO. BTW, you could probably fabricate that silver contact piece out of strip brass, replacing the whole length at once.

Yeah, cutting delrin, or nylatron (nylon with moly disulphide) or delrin “brown” (impregnated with teflon) might be better.

I heard nylon is much harder to print.

But Dick, because nylon is cheaper does not make it worse, notice all the nylon gears in trains for the last 50 years?

Greg

Nylon gears are the most popular, but nylon will shrink a little over time. Actually most plastics do. So we have a nylon gear press fit onto a metal axle, putting stress on the gear already, and then over time the gear shrinks, increasing the stress on the gear. So if the gear isn’t solid enough to handle the stress of being pressed onto a metal shaft that is slightly larger then the hole in the gear, and then the added stress of the hole trying to get smaller over time, the gear splits.

Dan, is the missing “silver bar” the jumper between the slider and the motor? Of the 4 wires I see, aren’t 2 motor and 2 track pickups?

Greg