Large Scale Central

SD-60

My latest project.

Bashed a USAT 70MAC for the body, added some doors

for some reason photo won’t add properly ???

SD-60

SD-60

That’s a great job Bill, I love seeing Diesels that aren’t mass produced in large scale.

Bill, that’s awesome! I can’t believe how much longer the SD-60 seems with a “Spartan” cab. Is the cab bashed from another USA engine?

Great work Bill

VERY NICE!

Hello All

Thanks for your kind words

Compliments are hard to come by sometimes.

I’m NOT the best with a camera so the pics will be few on my projects.

The cab is from an Aristo SD-45 but I think one from a SD-40-2 would also work.

Just needs a little “plastic surgery” on the frame to make it fit.

Check conrail cyclopedia website for prototype photos if you are going to try this

It was surprisingly easy. Next project is a GE 8-40C from a GE 9-40c

Bill

looks great! I would like to see more images

thanks

A big tip-o-the-hat from this dyed-in-the-wool steam guy! That looks great. I had family who lived next to Conrail’s tracks in Southern Maryland, so a well-executed Conrail model brings back lots of memories.

Later,

K

Very nice!

Bill Z said:

Hello All

Thanks for your kind words

Compliments are hard to come by sometimes.

I’m NOT the best with a camera so the pics will be few on my projects.

The cab is from an Aristo SD-45 but I think one from a SD-40-2 would also work.

Just needs a little “plastic surgery” on the frame to make it fit.

Check conrail cyclopedia website for prototype photos if you are going to try this

It was surprisingly easy. Next project is a GE 8-40C from a GE 9-40c

Bill

I have been advised by a friend of big power that the SD40-2 cab won’t fit, it’s “too wide for the frame”.

He asked me to post this for all y’all as he mostly lurks here checking up on me(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif).

John

John

Your friend is right. the SD-40-2 cab is just under 1/4 inch wider than the SD-45 cab.so it would hang over each side by 1/8 inch. definitely noticeable and not easily “fixed”. I hadn’t really looked closely before.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

The fix for the wider cab (SD 40-2 ) would be to glue a 1/8 x 3/8 plastruct strip to the edge of the frame on both sides. It means re-drilling all of the handrail holes and painting the top edge black , but that would work if you don’t have a spare SD-45 cab.

Bill

Looks great Bill . What did you use for the truck side frames ?

I just used the 70 mac trucks I’m not much of a rivet counter. if you want prototype

you can use SD 40-2 sideframes.

the older SD-50’s used both old flexcoil trucks (like on SD 45 )and newer HTC trucks.

SD60 was all HTC. like SD 40-2.

Biil

After posting the above reply, It started to bug me so I swapped

the sideframes for ones off of a SD 40-2

How did you do the patch?

looks great

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John S

What patch are you referring to?

The brake wheel on the long hood is covered with a 1/16 styrene door as are several of the louver openings that are not on a SD 60.

If tou mean fitting the cab to the frame , It s drop-in just made new screw holes to keep it in place.

Side frames were a direct swap out with mounts. Both are USA Trains.

I hope i answered your question.

Bill