Large Scale Central

USA Trains 44 Ton Switcher...Help

I need some help in getting the body off the chassis. I found the four screws located near the end beams or at the outside corners of the power trucks. However the body is still tight. Are there more screws ?

Yes! There are 2 at the back end of each of the trucks. Once you have those undone, your not through yet. Carefully remove the cab which has 4 plastic prongs that hold it to the chassis. You will Be able to see these from the underside if you remove the air tanks and battery box. I have found gently pushing on these while pulling the cab off with the other hand works. BE CAREFUL these prongs are fragile. Hope this helps.

Thanks Todd. I’ll try it tomorrow.

Greg may have something on getting the shell off

Jerry

Replied on another forum, more screws under the trucks, very typical for USAT diesels.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Replied on another forum, more screws under the trucks, very typical for USAT diesels.

Greg

There are other forums beyond LSC ?

Question 1 …How would one go about finding these other forums ?

Question 2…Are these other forums moderators as understanding and considerate as this forum moderators are?

Question 3 …What size screw are they and are they the standard 3mm self tapping pitch or are they tapped for a machine screw ?

Edit: I feel naked and cold right now but I have my trusty P-38 can opener!

I believe Dan asked on MLS and GscaleCentral, I forget which I answered this on.

MLS is messed up… it alternates between well moderated, no one paying attention, and endless spats between Kevin and I.

Gscalecentral is violently nice, has an off topic forum and everyone takes everyone’s opinion in stride. Nice place.

The Kalmbach Garden Railways forum is pretty low activity, and the format really makes it a pain to post. Moderation is light and people are pretty polite.

The screws are the same screws that USAT uses for all their diesels, a coarse thread philips head, about 1/2 inch long, I think they are 4mm (but you maybre correct on 3mm), slightly different from the Aristo ones. They are self tapping, and every diesel I have of theirs use the same screw.

Boy wouldn’t it be great if they had put nice machine thread inserts in these places? These strip so easily and the location of many screws under the trucks is just nuts.

Greg

Reading the details of other large scale fora mentioned by Greg, I would add that a modellers web site I frequently read is the Kalmbach Model Railroader with particular reference to the ‘prototype information for the modeller’ thread. The ‘Waldorf & Statlers’ photo thread is also good. I rarely post there and make no comments re posters opinions.

I have found the historical and prototypical information detailed there to be not only of great interest but good ideas.