Large Scale Central

Battery RC info needed

This year I would like to have converted a couple of my USA geeps to battery RC operation. I was looking at RLD’s website and saw the Airwire drop in circuit board for GP38’s . Has anyone any comments on it ,good or bad ? My other question is "will a battery with bigger capacity 6000 ma verses 2000 ma give me longer run time ? I would still like to use the smoke function from time to time and also have the soundboard going too.

I can answer the second question - Yes. The bigger the capacity in MA or MAh of the battery, the longer the run time. Smoke will suck down even a big capacity battery very fast.

Thanks , that’s what I needed to know . I found a lot of info from past threads on this forum about Airwire drop ins so my first question was answered .

Mike, John’s right, but do yourself a big favor and just ask Kevin about the rest.

The smoke unit and sound board will use about what your motors are using.

Have you decided what is an acceptable run time?

Greg

I installed the Airwire setup in my GP38 last year, it went fairly easy.

Only (1) smoke unit gets used (can’t do both) and when running sound at a medium volume and with the train pulling about (5) cars I still got over 4-hours run time.

It still had more run time to go, I was just ready to switch to a different train!

Here is the link to when I did mine, I have a few pictures of the install included:

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22572/airwire-usa-trains?page=1

This is the battery I used (all bought from Reindeer Pass) and it fits perfect.

http://www.reindeerpass.com/Railroad-Remote-Control-CR-1605-14-8V-5200mah-Lithium.aspx

Typically, if the same voltage, the 6000 mah battery will give you approximately three times the run time of the 2000 mah battery. I actually use with some of my engines two 5600 mah batteries in parallel in a trailing car (I like the trailing car so I can easily swap out batteries when the need charging rather than disabling an engine for the charging time). Running two engines, with sound, but without smoke, I consistently get way in excess of 5-6 hours of runtime pulling 20 cars with two engines.

Ed

Thanks for the info guys , Airwire seems the way to go for me. I’m hoping to get 2-3 hours of run time Greg .

Hi Mike, I was attending the Big Railroad Show this weekend and now just posting my reply. FYI, I do not see AirWire sponsoring any of these pages, so I ask you take a look at our RailLinx gear also. Between the original RCS and now RailLinx I have over 1200 installations. There are enough differences for you to consider. Especially choosing battery voltage and getting better radio range. Since the G3 came out CVP suggest keeping the voltage to 14.8v to prevent poor range and overheating the G3. The RailLinx has 10 amps at 18.5v and power hungry Geeps and larger locos will use the extra voltage and amperage. Please remember when you are running your locos and pulling a train you expect full power when you want it. With the RailLinx we can easily power two Geeps from one system on a hot day without shutting down. Setting the frequency on the AirWire takes a page of instruction using OPS mode or service mode. The RailLinx stores the channel in the throttle not the transmitter. To set or change a channel it is 4 key presses on the keypad, choose the channel then press enter. My 9 year old granddaughter can do it.

Our approach is delivering simple reliable bundle for best performance using plug N play throttles, weather resistant transmitter and our unique battery install kit for your loco. The AirWire drop in requires modifying the plastic opening around the USAT switches for the charge jack to fit. That means you have to turn over the loco to charge. Or you can modify the G3 board. Not with the RailLinx battery install kit. Thanks to Tony Walsham’s original design you can mount the jack anywhere on your loco and it supports back up batteries in a trail car.
with the relay-U board you plug into the USAT lighting board, not removing it. My goal is to help you find the best set up for you and provide the best long term support.

All I ask is you give me a look. Please call or email me at the shop anytime for a exchange of ideas. Thanks, Don.