Large Scale Central

Thinking about getting a Revolution

I have heard good things about the Revolution system and have done some reading but can’t seem to find the basic answers so maybe you guys can help out?

I currently use a aristo TE with a switchable transformer. The TE base station plugs into that and controls the voltage on the track through the hand held. Does the Revo work the same way? I have read that it works through the air like radio control and also through the track?

What I would like to do is eventually battery power my diesels and use the Revo to control them. I would also like to leave my electric steam engines track powered and control those with the Revo without having to add a receiver to them. Will the Revo work like the TE and control the track voltage?

Revo kits come with the handheld and a sound or non sound engine module to be wired in but how does the track get powered?

Is there a website that I can visit to get the basic answers and how to’s of the Revo?

Paul Norton has a bunch of info on the OVGRS website http://ovgrs.org/

http://ovgrs.org/the-trains/radio-control-train-engineer-systems/2-4-ghz-revolution-train-engineer/4

Todd Haskins said:

Is there a website that I can visit to get the basic answers and how to’s of the Revo?

Todd - there are also a number of articles on my web page at: http://www.trainelectronics.com/articles.htm

Here is a list:

Aristo Craft’s Revolution Radio Control System

NEW! HO Train Engineer Revolution Review
NEW! Updated Track Side Revolution
NEW! Revolution with Sound Review
NEW! Connectors for the Revo Receiver
Servo Control Interface for Revolution
Controlling a Relay with the Auxiliary Port
Repairing an Aristo Craft Revolution Receiver
Auxiliary Interface
System Overview
Eggliner Installation
Power Point Presentations on the Revolution
Videos of the Spring 2009 Presentation
Interfacing the Auxiliary Output to a Microcontroller
Use with Phoenix Sound
Track Side Revolution
Using the Base Station to Power Another Revolution
PWC–>Linear Converter ART57091

The two highlighted articles should help. Please let me know if you have any questions.

dave

Hi Todd, are you going to the West Springfield show? There are a bunch of guys riding together from the Cape. If you make it , stop by my booth to see the system. I have a variety of battery controls systems you can see.

To answer your questions about battery and using track power it can be done. The battery REVO receiver is installed inside the diesels. Your steam locos can run on track power at the same time. The REVO handheld transmitter can link to all your locos and link to the track powered receiver. But you need to replace your TE receiver with a new REVO track receiver to use the same REVO transmitter. The REVO operates on a different frequency that does not talk to the older TE. You will definitely enjoy using the new system.

If you miss this show call me or attend the Greenberg Train show in Wilmington, MA on March 19-20.

Don

RCS of New England

Just my 2¢, but I’d advise you to see Don at one of the shows. He’s The Man With the Answers you are seeking!

Reading from the above links it does seem possible to use my crest transformer with a base unit Revo and provide track power to the steamers. Meanwhile I can run the diesels via battery with Revo or flip a switch and go back to track power.

Don we did talk at the train show in Marlborough and I picked your brain on how to hook up my USAT GP38 with battery and you suggested using the Revo to control it. The GP40 you had running with revo sound was terrific. You gave me some prices and I had a bit of sticker shock but now I’m considering revisiting the purchase. I will be heading to the show Saturday so I will have to stop by to see you again.

Thanks guys for the info.

Thank you Andrew for your endorsement. I enjoyed visiting the sourdoh.com web site.

Don

Hi Todd, thanks for stopping by the booth. We need to continue our conversation. I will be at the March Greenberg show if that works for your schedule. You can call anytime with questions. 603-321-1347.

Don

Hi Todd and group,
The Central CT G Gaugers Modular Group has been using a pair Revos with the base station receivers for about a year. I put the power unit together using a single Crest dual voltage power supply. But before I get into the REVO setup let me compare the old Aristo/Crest TE to the Crest Revo setup.
Old TE receivers have the following installed:
Fuse, PWC/Linear switch, plug for the cooling fan, easy mounting for the cooling fan, channel linking switch, power switch.
The REVO base super receiver has the following installed:
Linking switch with remote linking switch, wiring and plug assembly included, puts out PWC only.
What the REVO base super receiver doesn’t have installed:
Fuse, Linear option, plug for the cooling fan, power switch.
All of these need to be wired and connected to the REVO receiver.
The Linear converter is an optional circuit board available from Crest Electronics and must be wired with an on/on switch in order to have PWC and Linear track power options.
Problems that we have encountered while using the REVO and super base receiver for track power:
Batteries in the REVO hand held unit don’t last as long as the old TE batteries did.
Unexpected unlinking due to low battery power in the hand held unit, but with no indication that the battery power is too low.
Frequent overload indication on the hand held unit due to unresolved problems. When an overload condition happens the power to the track stops. In order to clear it and get a linked indication, the power to the receiver has to be turned off and then back on, wait to get a linked indication and restart the train.
I’m not badmouthing the REVO, but there may come a time in the not too distant future that the CCTGGrs will put the old TEs back in use on the club layout.
I don’t know Don Sweet personally, but several club member speak very highly of Don and he may have the answers that you are looking for.

Bob, the Trackside receiver will go into overload if you try to change direction on the unit without the throttle being at zero. I had this happen on the review sample sent to me a few years ago. If the loco was running and I hit the direction key to change direction, the loco would slow to a stop, but then once it stopped, the receiver would trigger the overload. To clear the overload, you need to hold down the “0” (all stop) key while the transmitter is displaying overload. You don’t need to reset power to the receiver. If you stop the train before you change direction, everything’s kosher.

To the greater question about the quality of the Revolution system itself, I’ve been using it since it came out (early 2009), and have been very pleased with it. It’s easy to use, easy to program, and works well with Phoenix sound systems. I’ve got it in 5 or 6 of my locos. The range is great. I can’t speak very highly of the sounds, certainly not when compared to Phoenix or the latest DCC sound decoders, but if all you’re after is generic train sounds, it’s quite adequate.

Later,

K

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for the REVO info. Our club layout at the most recent show was 36’ X 56’, two main lines with two electrically isolated yards. Most of the overloads happened while trains were running on the main lines. This club uses LGB track for the main lines with several Aristo extra wide turnouts in each main line. Several of the overloads happened as engines were passing over the turnouts. We still use LGB rail joiners to connect the rails module to module and I know that there are voltage drop problems. We run a power jumper from each 36’ layout ends. Some of the modules are connected with Split Jaw rail joiners and all the turnouts are installed with Split Jaws. I have had to install jumper wires underneath the modules on some of the turnouts, but the turnouts need to be removed, disassembled and the tiny wires replaced with larger wires and the frogs need to be replaced with the deeper ones that Aristo came out with.
I have recommended that the club buy new LGB rail joiners and clean the rails on the modules where the joiners are installed. I would prefer to use Split Jaw rail joiners exclusively, but this increases the setup and teardown time considerably. Some of the members have difficulty dealing with the Split Jaw joiners as their mechanical dexterity is low.
I have set the display/on time on the REVOs to 10 minutes and this has caused an operator problem. Increasing the display/on time contributes to increased battery drain, but I may have to. I need to have " REVO School" before each train show even though most of these members use REVOs on their home layouts. I frequently hear the comment that my REVO works differently, but they all work the same, just programed differently for delay, momentum, display and on time.

Not intending on disparaging the Revo system, but it’s still “new” in terms of software development and bug fixing. Seems all of this came to a halt when Aristo went under.

The fact that the transmitters do not communicate among each other, or to a central unit means there will never be a layout-wide “system”, and that’s one of the architectural issues with trying to grow it larger.

Crest decided to try to penetrate the HO market, and I know that is not going well, so maybe in a while they will come “back” to the G scale product line and improve and update it.

Greg

I have been using the Revo system for a long time as well and I really enjoy it. I have basically switched all of my locomotives to it. I particularly like the display and the controls. Loco performance is good.

I own 2 transmitters but one is really just for backup. It was just a small hassle to set them up, but it was a hassle.

My biggest concern is its future. When I had misplaced one of my transmitters, I started looking for deals on a replacement. The ONLY one I could find came packaged with one or more receivers; something I did not need at all.

I have been promised downloadable sound files for quite some time, but they are not around.

If I were starting out today, I’d probably look elsewhere.

Hi Bruce and owners of the REVO system. Now that I am running my shop on a fulltime basis I will offer programs to protect your investment when there is out of stock or out of production hi-tech items. If you choose to buy from me I will provide a buyers satisfaction for 12 months. This will cover the standard warranty, excluding damage, 50% trade in value towards the next model/replacement version or any item of same or higher dollar value in the shop.

I am just as frustrated as everyone with the possibility of losing your investment. These are long term purchases to enjoy our trains. I am now in the position to facilitate solutions. In Bruce’s example I would break up a set to fulfill my customers need. I will post more info on my RCS of New England page. Don