Large Scale Central

Taylor Tin Works Challenge build 2016

OK guys I waited till the last minute, Not sure what to build (isn’t that pathetic, knowing that this was coming for almost two years) until John P. forced me into building a Tin factory. Really, look at the map, it’s already there. It will give me another business on the pike.

Board & batten side walls, Tin Above and roof. Ya I’ll probably go over my allotment of tin. We’ll fire up the mill and make some more.

Now I’ll have to come up with a back story… Mining district, Tin works, could be a tie in…

Looking forward to it.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

That will be nice Dave. As for the backstory well. . . you are the only supplier of tin in challenge town and anywhere in these parts. Which means an shady unscrupulous tin dealer can do just about whatever he wants when he is the only game in town. . . he could be dealing an illegal Faro game out the back, he could have some ladies of ill repute upstairs. Now if your the honest type then one could use the tin factory as a way to employ those less fortunate and lost there wears prospecting and needed some place to turn. Oh the possibilities are endless.

Does this mean we will call you the Tin Man?

Hey that’s funny Dave “the Tin Man” Taylor argh argh argh Howdy Neighbor

Well Dave, since the local aircraft factory went bankrupt, the local metal company had to figure out what to do with all the aluminum they stockpiled for the aircraft company. Making corrugated aluminum panels, for the local mine shaft houses and other quick build building just seamed to be a way to make money from all of the stockpiled aluminum…just a thought.

Unless it has to be tin, in that case it wasn’t a local aircraft company, it was the local lizard canning company.

Will this “Tin Works” be big enough to house the corrugator you built?(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

…AND you could have unlimited stockpiles lying around the place, not to mention gondola loads of the stuff… and, yup, especially if you cover the walls with tin, which you sort of have to do since it’s a factory that makes the stuff, you’ll use up the first 800 sq feet no problem. Go for it!

I really really like the look/shapes of that building. Can’t wait to see what you do with it. It gives me ideas myself…hmmmm

Big progress today.

Started the day by converting the napkin to a measured drawing… Oh No!, its gonna be bigger then I thought it was gonna be.

The I figured I needed a right and proper ruler to get it done with. Copied 2" of a wooden one. Used Photoshop to build an accurate 1:22.5 one workable for building with.

Made a cutting list of all the walls and the floor.

Dug out an old piece of 1/2" PVC I had saved from Alco’s trash, and got it cut for the base/floor. That part is about real 15" x 27", and there will be a Dock added on two sides.

Fired up the table saw, and got all the sides and walls cut. 1/2" birch plywood.

And stood it up to see what it’s gonna look like. It is bigger then I had originally thought about.

Time to break out the Tightbond III and the nail gun. Haven’t figured out the roof supports yet. I will make the roof out of 3/16 PVC Plastic.

Not to bad for the first real day of working.

Nice

What in the sam hell do you think you’re doing?? Aren’t we supposed to procrastinate for two or three weeks before getting started? Isn’t that in the rules?

1/2" birch plywood??? Man you don’t fool around when you build something, do you?..(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Big progress today. Decided that I would light the factory from the inside.

Well, it does change a lot of things. Like how do I do the windows. Now I will have to do cut outs, instead of stick ons. Oh yeah I need to design the windows too.

Ta Dah!!

Need to order me some new casting supplies… Old ones out of date…

Will build up the master frames tomorrow… For the doors, I got doors, in four sizes BTW if someone needs doors.

Great start Dave. I am interested in seeing the windows. I’ve got to build some myself. That will be a first for me.

Got started on the window master for molding. I built what I think is a simple commercial type window, that you would find in general type of factories and etc.

This will be a two part casting, with a plexy piece in between. Built the frame thicker then normal so I can attach some Finnish work along the sides if wanted.

And then the dividers, tried to make then small, but not to fragile. They will set inside the frame.

And the parts as a whole.

This window can be left shut, set to open from the side, or the bottom, a 3 way window.

New set of casting resin to arrive today. Fun weekend ahead.

Your glass man gave you a broken window!

Looks good so far.

John

Thanks for the window tutorial, Dave. I am not into casting … YET, but I can certainly use your method as a guide to make what I need out of wood. Mine will be a scale 8 ft x 3 ft. Again, thanks for the tips and great work.

This should be fun to see come together!

While waiting for the casting stuff to get here, I took a picture of my window.

Wow… Now isn’t that nice. But I took into photoshop, re-sized it to the correct size, and then printed out 48 copies on one sheet of sticky back wall covering satin cloth. I wanted to mock up the factory and figure out how the windows would look and the placement, along with the doors placement.

This is what I came up with.

This will be the “front entrance”. The doors are left over from the Mik 2014 challenge. (BTW I have more available)

This will be the Dock side. The side walls are all a scale 11 feet high, Man door 7’, Bay doors 8’ tall. A loading dock will run the length of the inset siding, from the door, past the end wall by 10 feet.

This is the end view, with the hoist house ( for lack of a better name). The Dock will extend out to the length of the overhead hoist area.

I like the look. BUT… I will have to make 42 windows.

I really hope that the casting stuff gets here for the weekend.