Large Scale Central

OVGRS Winter Run

The OVGRS had its season wrap meeting over at Fred Mill’s today, usually it is a pleasant social session hosted by the infamous Father Fred. But with the amazingly warm weather we are experiencing this year in Ottawa the members decided to do what we do best… run trains!

Looks great Steve, always loved the Maroon and gray CP colors.

Damn …Fred needs a shave!

Careful Rooster don’t give him any ideas, it’ll ruin his character!

If you want to see more pictures, here is the link to Mike Hamer’s blog.

Good to see the Ottawa guys getting a run in December. The weather seems to be kind in parts of northern North America keeping the snow well away.

Mike’s Blog is well worth seeing. Looks like it was a great party.

Heck, me and ig and the mince pies sure missed out there! Tell Paul that his ‘English’ steamer is a FRENCH Corpet-Louvet. There is, however a bright red version that runs on the UK’s only metre-gauge track at the Irthlingborough Iron Works Heritage site in nearby Northamptonshire. LGB make that one as well.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

The only thing that looks better than a grey and maroon locomotive is TWO grey and maroon locomotives.

I missed out on a whole ‘trainset’ - loco and five cars, by ten minutes at an auction, only to discover later that the new owner had ‘converted’ the whole set to Pennsy.

Philistine!!!

tac

OVGRS.org

Chris Lyon has posted the video of the Saturday get together. We can get silly sometimes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDWYHJUvams

tac Foley said:

Tell Paul that his ‘English’ steamer is a FRENCH Corpet-Louvet. There is, however a bright red version that runs on the UK’s only metre-gauge track at the Irthlingborough Iron Works Heritage site in nearby Northamptonshire. LGB make that one as well.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Oui!

Corpet-Louvet Constructeurs

117 Avenue Phillippe Auguste

Paris

Soon appearing on a For Sale Page near you!

tac Foley said:

The only thing that looks better than a grey and maroon locomotive is TWO grey and maroon locomotives.

I missed out on a whole ‘trainset’ - loco and five cars, by ten minutes at an auction, only to discover later that the new owner had ‘converted’ the whole set to Pennsy.

Philistine!!!

tac

OVGRS.org

Ouch! That hurts!

tac Foley said:

Philistine!!!

tac

OVGRS.org

Interesting I’ve been eyeing a Pennsy heavyweight to convert it to Canadian Pacific!

Yea, but to convert french cars and a locomotive to Pennsy is just…wrong. Converting a USA passenger car to a Canadian passenger car is believable.

I had one of those lumpy rivet Aristo-Craft metal vans (cabooses) in CNR colours that I did not want. A local dealer offered me an unpainted USA Trains wooden van for it, so he could sell the CNR van at the Toronto Train Show that weekend. I wanted an undecorated one so I could paint and letter it like my dad’s CNR van.

A week later the CNR van did not sell, but he offered me a USA Trains CPR wooden van that he had in stock. I grabbed it before I got the lumpy riveted van handed back to me. The CPR van is handsomely painted and much sought after here.

Later that week I teasingly told one of our club members that I was going to paint it in CNR colours. He immediately offered to find me an undecorated van on one of his American trips, which he did. He was happy, and so was I.

CNR Van

BTW: That is one of the two “collectable” Hershey tankers that I had. When they moved their near-by plant from Smith Falls to Mexico, I spray-painted and re-lettered their cars. I like black tankers, but I do miss shopping in their chocolate store.

David Maynard said:

Yea, but to convert french cars and a locomotive to Pennsy is just…wrong. Converting a USA passenger car to a Canadian passenger car is believable.

Dave I think Tac was referring to an Aristo CPR heavyweight set and Pacific, a Corpet-Louvet in Pennsy colours would just be too strange! Mind you there have been some rather unprototypical paint schemes applied over the years. Script lettering on a steamer is just wrong, steam was last used in 1959 and the script style lettering was introduced in 1963, how wrong is that. And what about those tank cars with passenger style CN colour schemes, or maroon CPR colours!

Uh, riiiiiiight. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

tac

OVGRS.org

Script lettering was introduced when? Are you telling me that I have to repaint my 1930’s boxcar?

LOL Just for the CPR!

You guys weren’t alone that weekend. Had my own run…